Options

I just passed the Security+!!!!!!!

JD20JD20 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just passed the Security+ with an 816 score. I am so happy and relieved that it’s all over. That was probably the most stressful hour and a half of my life. A little background on myself, I obtained the A+, CCENT, and MCP certifications while in school (Computer Networking Technologies program) and all were within the last year. I don’t have any IT work experience yet.

The test overall was difficult. It will definitely test your knowledge of the material AND see if you can put it all together. DO NOT use brain ****! It will not help. You need to really go over all the information and think about how every concept works in conjunction with others to provide full Information Security.

As far as study materials, I used Darril Gibson’s Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead SY0-401 Study Guide. It was by far the one study material that I used that gave me the most information. I dissected the book. As I read I took detailed notes. I read one chapter every two days. Before I read any new material, I went over all my notes. As I got to the end of the book it took me longer to go over the notes than actually read the new material. But, I feel like it really helped engrave the data in my head and not forget it. I also watched Professor Messer’s videos. They are really informative and to the point. Lastly, I signed up for the free week of CBT nuggets. If you can afford it, I would highly suggest signing up for CBT nuggets. They thoroughly go over every topic on the Security+ objectives. If you can’t, then just sign up for the free week and binge on it as much as possible.

Next up, I will be trying to obtain the ICND2 to receive the full CCNA. Also, as part of the program, I will be taking the required exams for the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 this fall. I will keep you guys posted!

Comments

• Options
    alfred06alfred06 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Job JD, and nice write up that would help people that are still reviewing for the test. I agree with you on all the materials you've used. Good Luck to your next cert exam :)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome! Congratulations!
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Options
    Goteki54Goteki54 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!icon_cheers.gif
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations and thanks for the tips!
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    JD20JD20 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys so much! I lurked on this website for a long time before I took this exam and I got so much valuable information. I just hope that I helped somebody that's studying for this exam right now!
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats !
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.