Options

290 exam and AD

amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
Just starting my 290 exam.

Layout likely will be 2 x 2k3 server + 1 xp pro.
Learnkey
MS manual
Some testing software but unsure of yet.

Im going to set this up and it will have a domain with Active directory. However how much AD do I really need to know? I presume this would get covered in the 294 exam? But on the other hand AD features quite alot? Also does this exam cover the enterprise versions or just the standard?

Any help very welcome.
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The objectives are always a good resource for this type of information.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.asp

The objectives don't seem to indicate extensive AD knowledge is required, but I haven't taken the exam yet.
  • Options
    This preparation guide includes information about:

Exam News
    Audience Profile
    Credit Toward Certification
    Preparation Tools and Resources
    Skills Being Measured

Related Links

Register for this Exam

Take a Practice Test

Join an MCP Newsgroup

Find a Course

Exam News
    Exam 70-290 became available August 14, 2003.

Audience Profile
    The Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) on Windows Server 2003 credential is intended for IT professionals who work in the typically complex computing environment of medium to large companies. An MCSA candidate should have 6 to 12 months of experience administering client and network operating systems in environments that have the following characteristics:

250 to 5,000 or more users
    Three or more physical locations
    Three or more domain controllers
    Network services and resources such as messaging, database, file and print, proxy server, firewall, Internet, intranet, remote access, and client computer management
    Connectivity requirements such as connecting branch offices and individual users in remote locations to the corporate network and connecting corporate networks to the Internet
    Credit Toward Certification
    When you pass the Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment exam, you achieve Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) status. You also earn credit toward the following certifications:

Core credit toward Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 certification
    Core credit toward Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 certification
    Core credit toward Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA) on Microsoft SQL Server 2000 certification

Preparation Tools and Resources
    We make a wealth of preparation tools and resources available to you, including courses, books, practice tests, and Microsoft Web sites. When you are ready to prepare for this exam, here's where you should start.

Instructor-led Courses for This Exam
    Course 2273: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment
    Course 2274: Managing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment
    Course 2275: Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment
    Microsoft Press Self-Paced Training Products
    MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-290): Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment
    MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Core Requirements, Exams 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294
    Microsoft Certified Practice Tests
    MeasureUp: Visit the MeasureUp Web site to take a practice test.
    Self Test Software: Visit the Self Test Software Web site to take a practice test.
    Microsoft Online Resources
    TechNet: Designed for IT professionals, this site includes How-tos, best practices, downloads, technical chats, and much more.
    MSDN: The Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) is a reference for developers, featuring code samples, technical articles, newsgroups, chats, and more.
    Training & Certification Newsgroups: A newsgroup exists for every Microsoft certification. By participating in the ongoing dialogue, you take advantage of a unique opportunity to exchange ideas with and ask questions of others, including more than 750 Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs) worldwide.

Skills Being Measured
    This certification exam measures your ability to manage and maintain a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 environment. Before taking the exam, you should be proficient in the job skills listed in the following matrix. The matrix shows which Official Microsoft Learning Products may help you reach competency in the skills being tested in the exam.

Key to the matrix:

The course includes material to prepare you for this task.

The course includes some material to prepare you for this task. You will need to supplement the course with additional work.

The course provides a general introductory overview of this task. You will need to supplement the course with additional work.

Skills measured by exam 70-290 Course

Create and manage computer accounts in an Active Directory environment.
    Create and manage groups.
    Identify and modify the scope of a group.
    Find domain groups in which a user is a member.
    Manage group membership.
    Create and modify groups by using the Active Directory Users and Computers Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in.
    Create and modify groups by using automation.

Create and manage user accounts.
    Create and modify user accounts by using the Active Directory Users and Computers MMC snap-in.
    Create and modify user accounts by using automation.
    Import user accounts.

hence the question - there seems quite a bit. icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    Im going to set this up and it will have a domain with Active directory. However how much AD do I really need to know? I presume this would get covered in the 294 exam? But on the other hand AD features quite alot?
    if i remember well, you do need to know a good bit on AD.
    though i think it's mainly like accounts and GPOs and stuff.
    Also does this exam cover the enterprise versions or just the standard?
    enterprise more than the others. of course you are expected to know what are the differences and features of the other versions, but Enterprise is the "featured" version.
    witty comment
  • Options
    hence the question - there seems quite a bit. icon_confused.gif

Yes... When you copy and paste a web page into a forum there does seem to be quite a bit of letters and words. Perhaps there is some sort of language barrier here, I'm speaking english, care to join me? What I was refering to is that it only says the phrase "Active Directory" four times on the webpage. So in that case, no, I do not consider four objectives dealing with AD to be quite a bit.
  • Options
    1 of the 5 main objectives is AD focused. so yes, it is featured quite a bit.
    witty comment
  • Options
    "Quite a bit" is a pretty subjective term, I don't consider it to be a lot, you do, awesome. For the record, that is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen someone try to argue about.
  • Options
    it is subjective, but does imply "a considerable amount". btw i've taken this exam while you haven't, so i guess you'll just have to take my word for it until someone else who's done it says otherwise. icon_cool.gif
    witty comment
  • Options
    Well golly gee, I guess I'll just have to wait for somebody else to tell me about your cool club! Until then I'll probably be crying into my pillow because some pretentious guy says I can't have an opinion.
  • Options
    jeez don't take it so personally.
    all i'm saying is that i've experienced the exam, and in my opinion there is a considerable amount on AD, though nothing too "deep" as it isn't an AD exam.
    you on the other hand haven't, so how can you say how much AD is featured (no, the exam objectives don't say how much)?
    witty comment
  • Options
    I was mocking you. Anyway, I think your opinion is probably the better judge than mine, because you've taken the test. Just don't tell me I'm wrong when it's an opinion, not a fact.
  • Options
    YAY!! MY OPINION RULES!!!!11!1one icon_cheers.gif

kidding. but it really does rule
    witty comment
  • Options
    Ok didnt realise it pasted over the whole pargraph, was only supposed to be the AD section.

Im installing AD via the microsoft technotes anyway. just wanted to know from someone who had actually taken the exam.

By the way now that I have AD and DHCP setup I can no longer go on the web ( cause of a fixed IP addy ). In order to still do this I presume I need 2 NIC's? 1 for DHCP (fixed) and 1 dynamic?

Any pointers as to how to set this up? And I also presume that if I had bought a fixed IP address for this server I would only need 1 card anyway?
  • Options
    no you only need one NIC. and static is fine. did you set your default gateway to point to your router?
    witty comment
  • Options
    It would depend on how you connect to the internet. If you use a router you could connect without another NIC, but then it would defeat the purpose of running your DHCP server, so you'd have to connect the router to a hub, then to your computers. It would probably just be easier to pick up another NIC.
  • Options
    Hey omni, I guess we were posting at the same time. This time MINE is more correct. :D
  • Options
    ha! perhaps. but it depends on his network. my server has only one NIC configured statically, which is connected to a switch, which in turn is connected to the router. so i can access the internet my server and run DHCP (the other machines are connected to the same switch).

so yeah if his server is connected directly to the router, then you're right. but if he is connected to a LAN then i'm right (as in needing only one NIC).
    icon_cool.gif
    witty comment
  • Options
    True, but if you read my post more carefully you'll see I addressed that, although I said hub, not switch, I suppose either would work. So I'll give you half-points on that one, only because you posted first. :D
  • Options
    true, you addressed it. now we will just have to wait for amyamandaalen. have that half-point ready! boxing9kw.gif
    witty comment
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ok didnt realise it pasted over the whole pargraph, was only supposed to be the AD section.

Im installing AD via the microsoft technotes anyway. just wanted to know from someone who had actually taken the exam.

By the way now that I have AD and DHCP setup I can no longer go on the web ( cause of a fixed IP addy ). In order to still do this I presume I need 2 NIC's? 1 for DHCP (fixed) and 1 dynamic?

Any pointers as to how to set this up? And I also presume that if I had bought a fixed IP address for this server I would only need 1 card anyway?

If your connecting to a router (ie: Netgear, Linksys, etc) just set the DHCP address assignments to start at like 192.168.1.20 or something, then you can statically configure a single NIC on your server (Below the DHCP start addresses) to access the Internet, etc.

Maybe I'm misreading the question, but did you actually set up a DHCP server on your Win2k3 server?
  • Options
    microsoft guide wants me to S'elect Use the following IP address, and then type 10.0.0.2 for the IP address. Press the Tab key twice, and then type 10.0.0.1 for the Default gateway. Type 127.0.0.1 for the Preferred DNS server, and then click OK. '

of course if I do this my ISP has dynamically assigned me an IP so I cant access the net. Not using a router either. Quite happy to install another NIC to get this going.
  • Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    Don't you love it when you seeing Geeks fighting about knowledge?..hehe icon_lol.gif
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki