Options

Help Desk Position/Desktop Support - Required?

ChristopherPaulChristopherPaul Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm curious is the help desk position still the requirement of starting in IT?

I'm working on getting a similar job at a real estate brokerage and a few issues I have is that they expect me to kind-of be the Director of Technology, Agent Liason, Team Leader Assistant - along with other things. I don't have an issue per se but I have an issue that it doesn't pay very much and there's a 3 interview process.

I am currently seeking other jobs but a lot require technologies I don't know very well such as networking, reconfiguring computers, etc. What do you recommend - should I try to learn all this stuff or find other jobs that may not require it?

Comments

• Options
    MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
    What's your experience and educational background? Do you have experience in IT?
  • Options
    ChristopherPaulChristopherPaul Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've managed a small company's computer system, software, etc.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm curious is the help desk position still the requirement of starting in IT?

Depends on what education / certifications you have. I would hardly expect someone with a bachelors degree and some certifications but no experience to start out in the help desk.
    I've managed a small company's computer system, software, etc.

Hmm depends on how small your talking about. One trick some of the long term unemployed I knew used was to establish an LLC company and "work" for it. Why they didn't make any money to pay the bills, there wasn't huge gaps in there employment history on there resume. If you really "managed" a "small company's computer system" than wouldn't you have experience already and your not just "starting out in IT".
    I don't know very well such as networking, re-configuring computers, etc. What do you recommend - should I try to learn all this stuff or find other jobs that may not require it?

I think you answered my question, if you do not know the basics in computers, here's just no way your going to be able to obtain better paying IT positions.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
    I agree, a helpdesk at least for a year would help you learn more about those topics your not familiar with. I manage 5 locations for a fairly large company alone here. I do support, networking, everything basically. I am just starting out in IT but this was by far the best first job I could've gotten. I'm learning so much and on my down time I study for my certifications. It's perfect, and I'm in school full time still as well doing night classes! Just stay busy and never stop learning, best advice for anyone in IT I believe!