Options

A big decision. Three options. Any feedback is most welcome!

ZantZant Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone. Glad to finally be part of the community.
I've recently taken big steps towards increasing my tech knowledge, but am constantly second-guessing my next move. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

- I have a B.A. Business Admin from a less-than-reputable college.
- I just completed an M.S. MIS program from one of NYC's best schools (set me back a little over $86k; paid in full).
- I have the CompTIA trifecta under my belt.
- I have over 7 years exp in Desktop / IT Support, but am admittedly lacking tech skills. It's my people skills & follow-through that I believe have helped me the most.

I just left my job to go back and beef up my tech skills. If I don't do it now, I'll be stuck in desktop support forever. As the sole bread-winner in the family, I feel it's best to invest a few months in myself and return to the job market more marketable.

I have three huge choices ahead of me, all with pro's & con's, and all that I feel I am capable of. Determination to succeed is at a solid 100%.

Web Development Boot-camp
I don't have a background in CS, but have read that this is the place to be in tech. I keep reading about the demand for good programmers, and how it's an essential skill. I've done a few exercises here & there, and while it's all new to me, I think I have the potential to succeed. I will likely try some single-session classes to see if I should pursue it.

Data Analysis/Science Boot-camp
Again, no CS background, but I have some light experience with SQL. I like the idea of data & databases, and understand the importance of data in business, but I know that's not enough. I'll also be trying some coursework in this area to see if it's for me.

Cloud Computing / The Cert Route
I've considered attending WGU to "redo" my undergrad. I've been eyeing the Net Admin program, as it includes MCSA Server 2012 (though Server 2016 is right around the corner). From there, I could go on to MCSE Private Cloud, CompTIA Cloud+. Maybe even AWS or Google Cloud Platform. I've read that programming skills are a must for careers in cloud.

I know everyone says, "Follow what makes you happy / Do what you love." Honestly, what makes me happy is staying home & playing video games with my kids. But that **** ain't gonna pay the bills icon_thumright.gif. As all decent parents, I want to make sure I can provide for them. If working my ass off is what it takes, I'll happily do it.

Each of these three interest me.
I know that not having a CS background may be limiting.
I have plenty of exp on the user-end of Windows OS, so the MCSE Private Cloud route may be the safest bet.
Although they can sometimes be assholes, I generally like working with people. I like interacting with people at work, and don't want to end up sitting in front of a computer all day, every day.

Just throwing it out into the world, and seeing what comes back. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    'Less than reputable' college? What does that mean? You left your job without securing a job? That question will dog you on interviews.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    "don't want to end up sitting in front of a computer all day, every day." Other than consulting, I don't know many programmers, data scientists, or cloud types that have the luxury of not being stuck to their computers all day long.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well, I definitely wouldn't go to WGU if you already got a degree. Should throw that idea out the window...

It's no secret on how to make a lot of money... Learn to be an expert in an area and people will come to you.
  • Options
    UniqueAgEnTUniqueAgEnT Member Posts: 102
    Yeah I wouldn't get another Bachelor's if you already have a master's in MIS.

If you aren't that technical, have you thought about other career options? I also completed my MS in MIS from a highly ranked public school, and a lot of my colleagues are now consultants, and technical sales at large tech and consulting companies (Microsoft, Deloitte, Boeing, Amazon, etc)
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This DICE chart may or may not be helpful overall. Big emphasis on Big Data, development and languages today. I don't see that changing much before you retrain for the next career. Have to agree with cyberguypr above: sitting in a chair all day is basically a work hazard for most of us IT people who don't have the privilege of getting up and knocking out a little hard labor breaking rocks into smaller stones at break time. That of course is what the gym is for.

What's Hot (and Not) in Tech Skills - Dice Insights

Administration is slowly being off sited for the cloud so man handling equipment in the traditional sense of the old "IT Gym (Server room)" is quickly fading as well. Outside of traveling to client sites not sure what you'd be looking for as far as work environments go. Consulting generally involves travel, often overnight and while that was fun for 20 years or so does tend to get a bit old after a while, particularly if you have a family you like to see once in a while.

The most I do nowadays is go out a visit end users about security violations, breaches and mishaps but is also a nascent field of practice though I am seeing a FTE or two position now and then. Very tricky business when you make a mistake your probably going to cost the organization 100s of thousands if not millions if you really blow it but thats what insurance is for, isn't it? Just saw another large settlement at a client site that cost that org seven figures because the investigating manager said something out of line but unrelated to IT.

The real trick here is finding something you do enjoy doing over time. Yeah, fluffing off and playing with the kids is great but people who don't enjoy the daily grind of learning this field on a daily basis either tend to be so unpleasant to work with no one wants to work with them (career limiting unto itself) or don't stay in the field as their skills go fallow quickly. So, no there is no "easy" job that pays gobs of money, works remotely and will let you have six weeks off a year that doesn't involve regular evasion from three letter agencies or local law enforcement.

Its important to like the field as well as make a few bucks.

- b/eads
  • Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    I don't think any of those options sound good for you. Any software dev job is going to be sitting in front of your computer. Even more so than admin side of things. And I'd never recommend going back to college if you already have a degree.

My advice is try to find another option, that has to do with the business side of things. Maybe its still in IT but its sales, or risk assessment or something. There are a lot of different jobs in IT. I suggest you do more research to find one that would fit your interests more.