Another OSCP nugget

2»

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Belated congratulations from me too! I'm a long time lurker and just beginning to poke my head above the clouds. The OSCP is something I really want to attempt this year, but I don't have any actual pen testing experience. I figure on doing a lot of CTFs this year to get experience, but am now having to seriously consider doing an eCPPT course. I've been in two minds on whether I need to do C|EH as from everything I read, it won't give me a lot over the Security+ course. Then you mentioned eCPPT, and I'm even more confused icon_cry.gif

Decisions, decisions!

Congratulations papawolf! Thats an amazing achievement.

Leboratorical- you might consider the eJPT if you extremely new to pen testing but have IT experience. This will give you nice foundations for the eCPPT and later on for the OSCP. Step by step climbing the ladder towards higher and harder certifications.
  • papaw0lfpapaw0lf Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Leboratorical- Just remember that even though its definitely challenging, OSCP is in the end, an entry level course, meaning even if you have zero pen test experience you can tackle it, what makes a difference is the labs, that is where the meat is.

It can take you 2 months or 9 to get all machines, it is more a resource management exercise and whether you want to do a "prep" course to make it easier for you or go head on into it. Eitherway your chances are just as good, in the sense that I have spoken to guys on the forum that got all machines in the lab and failed the first time round and others who did not get all machines and passed the exam on the first go.

In my opinion the lab will test various areas of your skill set and it depends more on your background and understanding of the tech, than the mileage you have as an actual pen tester. You will be forced to study and research different topics to get your targets.

In any case don't be intimidated, there's only one way to find out if you can do it and that is to do it! :)

Good luck.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ...even if you have zero pen test experience you can tackle it...

this is very encouraging.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • leboratoricalleboratorical Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    this is very encouraging.
    It really is. I have put it on my schedule for May/June, to give myself a decent run-up to it. Thanks Papaw0lf!
    @TheFORCE - will also take a look at the eJPT as it isn't something I know a lot about. Between the two of you, you're really helping me figure out my path icon_cheers.gif
  • Dr. FluxxDr. Fluxx Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    papaw0lf wrote: »
    Leboratorical- Just remember that even though its definitely challenging, OSCP is in the end, an entry level course

This is one of the most advanced "entry level" exams that I have ever prepared for.
  • R3wtedR3wted Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dr. Fluxx wrote: »

This is one of the most advanced "entry level" exams that I have ever prepared for.

I'm currently doing my OSCP part time and of all the certifications I have done over my 20yrs+ this is not only the most challenging but also the most rewarding, especially when you start cracking the harder boxes in the labs.
  • papaw0lfpapaw0lf Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check this if you're interested, I finally managed to do a writeup.

https://papaw0lf.wordpress.com/2017/02/06/my-oscp-journey/
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Thanks for the writeup!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework