Options

Group Policy not getting applied properly! Help please!

newbienewbnewbienewb Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
We are testing for a domain based setup for one of our department;I work as a network admin, have been given the restrictions to be imposed on clients/members of the domain;Like the desktop should not be modified, no access to the add/remove programs in the control panel,etc.;For this department I created an OU called sales and applied those restrictions to the group policy(in User Configuration) of that sales OU;

However the restrictions are imposed on the Domain controller itself and to the users who are logging on the client systems/members of the domain! icon_sad.gif

Please let me know where I might have gone wrong! I am new to Windows Server 2003 system administration and working on MCP70-290.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Is the account you are using to logon to the domain controller in the OU you created?
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It sounds like the GP is applied to the domain instead of the OU. Or you have somehow managed to move all the people/groups you are referring to into the OU you've applied the GP to. Check to see where the group policy is linked.
  • Options
    jamesthatsmeukjamesthatsmeuk Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    newbienewb wrote:
    We are testing for a domain based setup for one of our department;I work as a network admin, have been given the restrictions to be imposed on clients/members of the domain;Like the desktop should not be modified, no access to the add/remove programs in the control panel,etc.;For this department I created an OU called sales and applied those restrictions to the group policy(in User Configuration) of that sales OU;

However the restrictions are imposed on the Domain controller itself and to the users who are logging on the client systems/members of the domain! icon_sad.gif

Please let me know where I might have gone wrong! I am new to Windows Server 2003 system administration and working on MCP70-290.

Thanks

I love doing things like this.. i wind up al my family saying im just playing and practicing.. lol..

one thing which helped me was remembering the LSD-Oh (hahahaha...well i make myself laugh anyway). Meaning that the policy is firstly imposed on LOCALLY, then to the SITE, then the DOMAIN and finally the OU..

All you need to do as keatron is create a new group police then link it to your sales OU rather then the whole domain.