Options

What happens if you do not finish all classes in a term WGU

moe12moe12 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello All,
I searched previous posts and could not find anything. I had a personal issue come up this term at WGU and was wondering what is the outcome if I only finish 3/4 courses this term? I do not receive financial aid or anything. I pay out of pocket. I am scheduled to speak with my mentor on Thursday, just wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with this.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I went through it when we had some health issues in the family. No big deal, the unfinished courses get marked incomplete on your transcript for the term and you add them to the next term. Depending on your overall progress it may impact you on time progress but if you maintain your progress in the next term you should be fine.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you do not meet the requirement of credits completed, you could pretty much get kicked out. I did... but now I'm coming back on a probation semester. Totally gonna do my best to finish the degree in a year. I should have already completed the degree but everything that I did was super easy except for risk management where I had to resubmit the assignment so many times. I guess thats what it was, I was bored with it and work took over but I should have kept the same steam to continue.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    @Jamesleecoleman, were you receiving financial aid or GI bill? How long did it take for them to allow you to come back? I told my mentor honestly I know I am behind and such. Since I am paying out of pocket, I would think as long as I am making progress and they get paid they would not mind.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Generally you need to meet on time progress not just make progress and method of payment doesn't impact that. Now, my situation may be different as there were extenuating health circumstances that were verifiable and I do recall having to submit something having to detail the issues. From that end @Jameleecoleman's experience may be more accurate.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    CaiyenneCaiyenne Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They have a policy that basically requires you to complete at least 3 CU each term. You can look it up in the student handbook. I received this email when I failed to complete any of my classes before 3 months of the term had elapsed:

[h=2]Mid-Term Progress Notification[/h]Dear ________,

***STUDENTS WHO ARE IN CAPSTONE OR DEMONSTRATION TEACHING COURSES MAY DISREGARD THIS NOTICE***

This notification is a reminder that you have reached the middle of your term and have not yet accomplished the three CU minimum necessary to remain academically eligible at WGU. We recognize that students work at their own pace and according to their own schedule. We want to help you stay on track in making academic progress, which will ultimately move you towards your goal of graduation. WGU created the WGU Academic Progress policy, found in the Student Handbook Article #2654 (http://kb.wgu.edu/article.aspx?article=2654&p=3), to facilitate your ongoing progress towards a degree.

We are encouraging you to review your progress thus far with your student mentor and discuss your study time and approach. We recommend that you, with the help of your mentor, develop a plan for completing a minimum of 3 CUs by the end of your current term. Six months moves very quickly and the next 3 months are crucial. You are also encouraged to partner with your Course Mentor in addressing any questions you may have about your current course of study.

Attaining the 3CUs is very important. Failure to complete at least 3 CUs by the end of your term will place you into academic suspension*.

At WGU, we want you to continue your education and graduate, so it is important that you achieve the expectations defined in the Academic Progress policy. Good luck in your continuing studies and please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions regarding WGU's Academic Progress policy.

Sincerely,

Student Records
    Western Governors University
    Office of the Registrar
    4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
    Salt Lake City, UT 84107
    [URL="tel:%28877%29%20435-7948%20ext%203146"](877) 435-7948 ext 3146[/URL]

*Appealing Academic Suspension: If you are unable to complete the 3 CU requirement by the 25th day of the last month of your term and believe that you should be granted an appeal to remain enrolled and have had extenuating circumstances, you may have opportunity to appeal. Submit an appeal in writing to the Registrar's office at records@wgu.edu. Appeals need to clearly state with documentation provided for the reason you failed to make academic progress and an explanation of how you will be academically successful if allowed to continue enrollment.

*Applying for Readmission: A student who is withdrawn from the university for Academic Suspension may appeal for readmission after 6 months from the date of suspension. Readmission is not guaranteed and is determined according to readmission standards (see Readmission Following Withdrawal http://kb.wgu.edu/article.aspx?article=1043&p=3).
  • Options
    Thank you @Caiyenne the information provided is what I was looking for!!
  • Options
    CaiyenneCaiyenne Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're welcome! :D
  • Options
    ira.aira.a Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wanted to comment on this thread since I am/was in a similar situation.

They will on ping you for SAP if you're *cumulative* course completion drops below 67% in a single semester. So, if you transferred in a ton of credits, got credit for tons of classes, or normally complete more than 12 CUs a semester, the likelyhood of you getting snagged for SAP is slim. You'd have to sit out for almost 2 (or more) semesters, or do this early in your WGU studies.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Lots of misinformation in this thread. What happens when you don't complete all classes in a term is that the mentor moves in with you. That was scary enough to put me back on track.
  • Options
    dstafford22dstafford22 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Lots of misinformation in this thread. What happens when you don't complete all classes in a term is that the mentor moves in with you. That was scary enough to put me back on track.

This provided both myself and my mentor with a much needed laugh. My progress is good overall, this term not so much, He has agreed to give me a stay of execution and not move in just yet, threat still looms. :D