Options

I got 875

earaeara Inactive Imported Users Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I sat for my exam on monday. I got 875, THANX to all the members :D . Without techexam my score is no where close to this!!! I had a tough time with the simulator. Break down is:

Planning and design
91%
Implementation and operation---86%
Troubleshooting(troublesome!!)--65%
Technology
93%

Most of the stuff was switch,ie VLAN, vtp and one is gat to know routing protocols so well, eg ospf. I used cisco press( intro icnd) and sybex 5th edition.

Now am thinking, should i go straight to CCNP or go into MCSE? Am more exposed to cisco platform than MS. Can some1 advise on this

THE BIGGEST RISK IN LIFE IS NOT TAKING ONE

Comments

• Options
    twiggy87twiggy87 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well done dude,

I am taking my ccna next week and I figure i'll do an mcse next. Most of the companys where I come from want you to have an mcse regardless. Im not sure about the rest of the world! On the other hand a CCNP is a pretty awesome qualification to have on your CV.

Oh, were there a lot of questions on other routing protocols or mostly just ospf?
    If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    twiggy87 wrote:

Oh, were there a lot of questions on other routing protocols or mostly just ospf?

Read the NDA at the top of the CCNA forum!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    twiggy87twiggy87 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh well, you cant blame a guy for trying. icon_redface.gif

Best of luck to the guy who passed!!!
    If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    eara:

I also have the Sybex CCNA 5th edition and the ICND book. Did you read the Sybex book and ICND? Or did you just read parts of the book that you didn't understand / or read topics that were not covered very well in the Sybex book?

Congrats on the pass :)
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Good luck on whichever path you take!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eara wrote:
    Now am thinking, should i go straight to CCNP or go into MCSE? Am more exposed to cisco platform than MS. Can some1 advise on this
    Congratulations! :D

The score report makes me think you could have used some more hands-on work. There might be some troubleshooting logic involved... knowledge of the debug and show commands..... or you got nailed by a sim. But if this was your first Cisco exam (and first certification exam) you did good. icon_cool.gif

At the entry level, it doesn't hurt to mix up the CCNA & MCP & CQSs ... and then get both the MCSE and CCNP. But it really depends on your work environment and opportunities. The more knowledge and experience you have, the more opportunities you will have.

If your current work environment is more Cisco -- and you can spend more time with the hardware -- then now is a good time to continue your Cisco Studies.

Oh -- I guess I should ask -- how much hands on did you have with real routers to help study for the CCNA?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    eara:

I also have the Sybex CCNA 5th edition and the ICND book. Did you read the Sybex book and ICND? Or did you just read parts of the book that you didn't understand / or read topics that were not covered very well in the Sybex book?

Congrats on the pass :)

I actually studied all the three books, sybex ,cisco icnd and intro. I have noticed the the sybex book has gat lots to talk about the exam but the cisco press has gat indepth stuff if you really dont wana miss a thing. I leant a lot from the flash cards and exam practice from sybex edition. The point is: Sybex will give you what you need to know for the exam but if you really want to understand something, get to cisco books.

Oh, i also noticed, eg NAT is not so well covered in sybex but you are likely to come across it in the exam. cisco covers this in detail!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    Congratulations! :D

The score report makes me think you could have used some more hands-on work. There might be some troubleshooting logic involved... knowledge of the debug and show commands..... or you got nailed by a sim. But if this was your first Cisco exam (and first certification exam) you did good. icon_cool.gif

Thats right, am working with 98 cisco switches(3550s,2950s,3750s), 2 PIX firewalls, and one 3600 router i play with on my desk!! It really helped me prepare for the exam.A sim blew up wat was going to be a very good score icon_mad.gif
    At the entry level, it doesn't hurt to mix up the CCNA & MCP & CQSs ... and then get both the MCSE and CCNP. But it really depends on your work environment and opportunities. The more knowledge and experience you have, the more opportunities you will have.

My plans are to leave my current employment and so I will go by your advice. I have decided to go MS and later i will drive back to cisco for the ccnp
  • Options
    twiggy87 wrote:
    Well done dude,

I am taking my ccna next week and I figure i'll do an mcse next. Most of the companys where I come from want you to have an mcse regardless. Im not sure about the rest of the world! On the other hand a CCNP is a pretty awesome qualification to have on your CV.

Thanx dude. I have actually decided to take the MS route. Its kind of the same situation for me where everywhere you go they want you to have MSCE and the like icon_rolleyes.gif

I will obey NDA but the best I can tell you is that use the books I recommended and you wont miss a thing. Getting CCNA is about knowing the stuff and am sure you will get there dude :)