WGU? Worth it?

I am currently attending a school in class but the price of WGU and the certifications you will receive while there almost seem better.

Is WGU worth it?

Should I switch to them after I complete my AS degree?

Thoughts? Thanks.

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Definitely worth it for me. With it being self-paced, giving me a bunch of certs, etc., I thought the ROI on it was great.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    As with everything in life, they have some issues but I found no better way to get a Masters for $6k. So yes, totally worth it for me.
  • GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depends on your standards and goals, I guess.
  • MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
    They are accredited just as any university?

The certs are what does it for me, and the price seems very reasonable.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah, they're accredited.

PROS:
    Do I have a degree now? Yep, and I'm proud to have earned it.

CONS:
    Does it help me break the ice whilst engaging in small talk at the country club? WTF is a country club.

But really. It's like driving a Hyundai Genesis. It's a very nice car, but you're still driving a Hyundai. You'll never get the oohs and ahhs from dudes who are riding around in Mercedesess and BMW's.

But you sure as hell ain't driving a Ford Fiesta.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It worked well for me. If a persons goal is to get an accredited degree it can be an entirely viable option. You have to be self-motivated for the school to work for you though, there is little to no hand holding.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do agree that you would not get the same feedback like you would if you went to a known state school, etc during small talk among peers.

But in terms of "worth" at my current job one of the mandatory requirements was a Bachelors. To finish my degree I just needed 28 credits to finish which I manage to finish in one term at WGU which only cost me $3k. Which equated to a $35k jump in pay from what I was making at my last job. So yes it was worth it!

I am not saying with the degree alone I got the job and jump in the pay. Experience, good interview skills played a role but that would not have mattered without having a Bachelors.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    MJK9550 wrote: »
    I am currently attending a school in class but the price of WGU and the certifications you will receive while there almost seem better.

Is WGU worth it?

Should I switch to them after I complete my AS degree?

Thoughts? Thanks.

WGU is absolutely worth it, you get industry recognized certs and a degree in the process for very cheap. In reality it gets cheaper the faster you complete your classes. Also, WGU has a cost comparison charts on how much the degrees cost on average on their website if money is what you're worried about:

http://www.wgu.edu/tuition_financial_aid/tuition_comparison_pop
  • ChristopherPaulChristopherPaul Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    According to my mentor who is at the Business School, and my enrollment counselor who we discussed IT programs they are not doing classes with certs anymore because some people found the exams too challenging. So I have 2 sources who told me that and I am just passing the info on. I am currently a student there who just started yesterday.

I find it very worth it, but that is a very personal thing - the "worth" of something. It's like buying an iPad Mini...you still have a tablet...just not as nice as the iPad PRO - BUT you are still capable... (bad analogy maybe...).
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    According to my mentor who is at the Business School, and my enrollment counselor who we discussed IT programs they are not doing classes with certs anymore because some people found the exams too challenging. So I have 2 sources who told me that and I am just passing the info on. I am currently a student there who just started yesterday.

I find it very worth it, but that is a very personal thing - the "worth" of something. It's like buying an iPad Mini...you still have a tablet...just not as nice as the iPad PRO - BUT you are still capable... (bad analogy maybe...).

Well WGU.edu still lists 6 of the 7 BS IT degrees contain certification (the seventh being a degree from the business school) and 2 of the 3 Masters degrees contain certification (the third being the MBA from the business school). Until the site is changed that is what I would use along with talking to an EC or mentor in the College of Information Technology.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's like driving a Hyundai Genesis. It's a very nice car, but you're still driving a Hyundai. You'll never get the oohs and ahhs from dudes who are riding around in Mercedesess and BMW's.

But you sure as hell ain't driving a Ford Fiesta.
    This is the best analogy I've heard in a ling time hahahahaha
  • Gamesta400Gamesta400 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes it is worth it. I received both my Bachelors degree and a Master's from them. Cant beat the price. Got to be self motivated though or you will crash and burn.
  • GoDuxGoDux Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    in my last term, but it has been worth it already. The certs have helped me advance already.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Worth it for me as well.
  • causancausan Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just finished my capstone last week and the certs and courses have definitely been worth it to for me. I can attribute being hired at my last two jobs to the certs and education I earned from WGU.

Now that I have completed my bachelor's and I have more experience under my belt I am going to start testing the waters for higher paying positions and I can say I am feeling pretty confident on my outlook.
  • phatm1kephatm1ke Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Love the analogy.

One ironic pro to add to your list is that upon completion if you are successful in IT you should be able to drive the BMW or Mercedes in the literal sense should that be something you want to do! :)
    Have: CCNA, Security+, Network+, Project+, A+
    Future: BS IT - Security (WGU), CCNA Security, Linux+