Options

See how much a user is printing

muhammed_albmuhammed_alb Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anyone tell me, how I as a administrator can se how much my clients is printing from a paper,, how many pages??
thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jamesthatsmeukjamesthatsmeuk Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can anyone tell me, how I as a administrator can se how much my clients is printing from a paper,, how many pages??
    thanks!

i had a quick look in one of my books..

I would have originally thought you can open Printers and Faxes (on any mechine), click the printer icon on the bottom left screen and open the box to see how many doc's are pending, printed or the amount of pages to be printed..

Although in my book it says you can monitor printers using the System monitor and Preformance Logs and Alerts..

From the look of the tool though its more for troubleshooting.

Dunno if that helps or if i have just confused u majorly..
  • Options
    muhammed_albmuhammed_alb Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No I ment something like group policy,, so my clients cant print 1000 pages,, this will cost me money for example,, so if I can in some way look so my clients wont print to much if so they will pay for the papers i dont know if you understand me
  • Options
    geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    I would go to System Monitor and create a Printer counter for total pages printed.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/aa82463b-d22b-4bfb-8218-7700f8a0a90d1033.mspx
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Options
    K_amisiK_amisi Inactive Imported Users Posts: 131
    The printer can only be monitored for the amount of pages printed( though not accurately) but it cannot be audited for the actual user who printed on the printer.

So basically you might have to get a third party solution.
    It is essential that justice be done, and it is equally vital that justice not be confused with revenge, for the two are wholly different."
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why don't you just determine how much paper they need a month to perform their job and supply them with that much paper. If they run out before it is time for you to replenish their paper then have them buy the extra paper needed.

BTW, how much more paper are they using than what you think they should be using and what are they printing that you don't want them printing. Maybe you should look into a way to reduce the physical paper work if this is that important to you and has your budget in this much of a strain. Are they printing documents that are just handed to another employee for review.....if so then setup shared public folder on the server and show them how to use that instead of printing or send the file via e-mail.

Just Suggestions. I think there are other solutions out there than to charge your employers' employees for printing when they are only there doing their job.
  • Options
    shamrocker98shamrocker98 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You could create separate logical printers for separate groups and then monitor those printers through counters.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    The law firms we support all have software that track print jobs. Not sure of the name of it, but a simple google search will help.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    jsobrinogjsobrinog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is a software called PCOUNTER, you can add users&passwords and give them credit to print on your local network, you can track their prints and see stats

:)

PCOUNTER
    :)