Options

Which certificate is right for me between CompTIA A+ or Network+?

php111php111 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I apologize but I was not sure which certificate section should I post my thread in, my apologies.

Based on what I am going to explain about me, which certificate would be best and without spending all that money than I end up failing the exam and I have no certificate?

I have no experience at all.

I don't have the knowledge and the skills.

I never went to college so I have no degrees and never was trained.

I never worked a day in my life. I only receive fix income and it is time for me to make extra money.

Alright, so which certificate would be the best to start and where do I even start without jumping in and buying it at first?

(EDIT: Moved to General Certification)

Comments

• Options
    CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd go with the A+ because it covers the fundamentals of computer components, operating systems, networking and security. The only problem with the A+ is that it you need to pass two tests 220-901 and 220-902 to get one credential. Each test is around $200? (may be more, it's been a while since I checked).

Some beginner resources for the A+:
    Mike Meyers A+ all in one book ~$50
    Mike Meyers A+ video course on Udemy (220-901/220-902 version)
  • Options
    Thanks so much!

Assuming I pass both A+ exams and I get my certificate and which would you go for next? And do they postal mail the certificate or how does that work?
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They mail the certificate.

In addition to the studying, try working somewhere. You might have to work for free, or minimum wage for a while because you don't have much to offer at this point. A cert with no experience will get you absolutely nowhere.
  • Options
    I have been having a hard time finding an IT job that does not require experience and degrees/certifications. I am looking for a job that pays at least minimum wage or better.
  • Options
    MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
    If you get your A+ which won't take too long, you can most likely find an entry level help desk position or something. It won't pay much but it is better than nothing and you will get your experience. Never stop learning though, I have the next 6 months mapped out already of what I will be studying and what certifications I will be getting.
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should start with A+ and with an old PC, Laser Printer and laptop to do some lab and identify parts.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    IT jobs does not exist for no experience, no certificates, and no degrees?
  • Options
    Not true, I got one.
  • Options
    As long as you're good with computers, which I hope you are. Otherwise if you have no skills with a computer and no education/experience/certificates, why try to get into IT?
  • Options
    Really? Than where should I look for one of those jobs? I am having a hard time finding. I tried searching on sites like Monster, Indeed, and CareerBuilder. I live in Bethlehem, PA.
  • Options
    You just have to keep applying and get lucky honestly, I'm in school for computer science so that helped. I also know what I am talking about, and I laid out my plan to them about school and the certifications I plan on getting and the timeframe for all of that. You have to have a plan. Sign up for the A+ today and take it in a month. While doing so keep applying for jobs. The worst that will happen is they don't call you back.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Work on the A+ while applying for jobs. After that you can take more CompTIA certs or Microsoft, but now just focus on A+ and landing your 1st IT gig.

Instead of just looking on job boards, make a list of companies in your area you would be interested in working for then check their websites for openings. Or just locate the email address for their HR or internal recruiter then send your CV. I landed a job with my former employer that way.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS