Beginner questions - VMware or Citrix server virtualization

J043J043 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am a systems administrator (Windows, Linux) and databases (MySQL, pgSQL, MSSQL). I am interested in getting the certifications of VMware or Citrix server virtualization - in begining 2017 year.

So far, I have not had to deal with Citrix Xen or VMware ESX. Once I heard that to get VCP (VMware) to take part in the course but I was too young to pay for the course. ;)

I would like to learn the implementation and administration of VMware or Citrix and pass exams in this field - without participating in training.

For the purposes of science I'm planning to create their own test environment, which will be composed: 3 x HP DL360 G6 QC e5504 VT 16GB RAM DDR3 2x 73GB SAS - please any suggestions.

I request information:
1. What is the certification path for VMware server virtualization environment
1.1. How much does one exam?
1.2. Is the exam is practical or theoretical (question with select anserwer) ?
1.3. How long is the exam?
1.4. From what book I can prepare for the exam?

2. What is the certification path for Citrix server virtualization environment
2.2. How much does one exam?
2.2. Is the exam is practical or theoretical question with select anserwer)?
2.3. How long is the exam?
2.4. From what book I can prepare for the exam?

Thanks.

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • thehappyonethehappyone Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I suggest looking at what the job market in your local area is looking for. I've been doing a lot of job searching in London UK the past few days and Citrix has come up alot.
  • J043J043 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In this page https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=64178&ui=www_cert about "VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization (VCP6-DCV)" is write:
    "New Candidate Requirements
    2: Attend one of the required training courses. "

In this page https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=64779&ui=www_cert about "VMware Certified Associate 6 – Data Center Virtualization (VCA6-DCV)" is write:
    "2: Pass the latest VMware Certified Associate 6 – Data Center Virtualization Exam or VMware Certified Associate 6 – Data Center Virtualization Fundamentals Exam (expiring on Sep 30). "

I plan to certification of virtualization in 2017 year and therefore will not then VMware Certified Associate , yes?

Training is required for the VMware Certified Professional 6?

In training.citrix.com/cms/education/certification/ I can't see server virtualization.
    Citrix offers certification for XenServer?
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wouldn't bother with a VCA - you're probably better off working towards VCP, but yes as the VCP6-DCV page states you will need to "attend one of the required training courses".

If you're paying for the training yourself, you could take the training with a college such as Stanly - look through this forum for posts by them and about them.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • BuzzSawBuzzSaw Member Posts: 259 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you by chance have any Cisco certifications? Specifically CCNA? One interesting path is that you could use CCNA to sit for the VCP-NV without a class requirement. Technically, once you get VCP-NV, you could use your VCP status to sit for VCP6. It's not exactly a "back door" but it is a workaround that you could potentially use to avoid the cost of the course.

So I believe it looks like this: CCNA -> vSphere 6 foundations -> VCP-NV -> VCP6

If am I wrong about that path, someone let me know! My information may be out of date. But about a year ago, you could go that route IIRC

I think the suggestion of looking at your local job market is a good idea.

In my (limited) experience, VMware seems to be more popular state side while Citrix seems to have more popularity "overseas" - Again that's a very general blanket statement. However, the point stands: check out your local market, or the market where you want to move.
  • jcp1856jcp1856 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try going the Stanley CC route. Their training course for VCP6 is only $185 vs a few grand for VMware's courses. You make have to be placed on a waitlist for a few months but the wait is worth the savings.
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    VMware is probably the way to go unless you have a specific use case for Citrix Server Virtualization. VMware is the most common virtualization platform* and VCP is fairly well respected at this point.

AWS uses XenServer so if you live near a region and want to work there citrix may be better. Otherwise VMware is a good investment. Stanley CC is the way to go if you're self funding and in a state that allows it.

*I have no proof to back up this statement.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com