Options

First possible IT job. Guidance please!

gtrider92gtrider92 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well I've been a lurker for awhile now reading these amazing success stories and I just enjoy reading all these threads! I'm wanting to know if there is anyone out there that has had no IT experience what so ever and has made it in the IT world. I haven't had a job related to IT, I've messed around with computers here and there but nothing major. I've built a PC but with a little guidance on picking the parts. I've been talking with a recruiter for Apex and he found a job for me that's very entry level. It's at a call center as a help desk tech. Some of the description of the job:

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • Responds to customer technical problems/issues related to software and applications via phone and/or online support.
  • High-volume, fast paced call center environment.
  • PC software and application support experience needed.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]I do have my A+ and Network+. I've expressed to the[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]recruiter that I'm ready to work, ready to put in the overtime just to get this career going and moving up. What I'm asking is if any of you fine people have any tips for me. What should I expect? [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Hello and Welcome!

Everyone in IT had to start somewhere. Most of us I would say did not major in anything IT related so yes you can get an IT job with no experience. I'm living proof.

Although a techie most my life, I was did my undergrad in Sports Marketing and worked marketing for about 8 or 9 years years. Ready for a change I asked for a meeting with a local regional bank VP of Information technology, who was another youngish guy about my age. Not only did I get a meeting he offered my a I did take a step back in pay but have now zoomed passed my last marketing salary.

Now I am a Security Analyst at the same bank who is exploding with growth and preparing to move up another spot again early next year.

Mark Twain I believe said" The secret to getting ahead is to get started"

Hope this helps.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nope. i came out of the womb with keyboard in handicon_lol.gif

seriously though, i started my A.A.S. in the IT field at 35 years old and graduated with my B.S. at 41. before that i barely knew how to turn a computer on. you have the basic certs already. might want to add security+ to give yourself a slight edge over your competition but other than that get going. good luck!
  • Options
    TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it's an actual call center I'm thinking you'll get burned out very quick. I had a call center job years ago and grew tired of it very quickly. There is a bad atmosphere in most call centers such as talking behind your back making up rumors etc. Even if you stay quiet and mind your own business. The team leads are usually in a bad mood and dont want to be there either.

On a positive side I believe it did help me get a job doing IT in Healthcare where I have been for 2 1/2 years now. Find a team lead or supervisor that seems to like you and kiss up a little for a good reference down the road. Not too much though!

Good luck.
  • Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE!

I would say you've prepared yourself well enough for a call center/help desk job by getting those A+ and Net+ certs. It should give you enough knowledge to start troubleshooting most end user issues, although nothing trumps experience. Learn a lot and never start working toward another goal. Find out what makes you tick so you can concentrate in that direction and specialize.

This looks like another success story in the brewing icon_wink.gif
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]