Options

Do most companies want you to have a CCNA for a NOC position?

TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

If anyone has worked in a NOC position, did your company want you to have a CCNA or would a Net+ & Sec+ be enough to get your foot in the door?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    For me, it was Security + and a degree.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Nice! Do you mind me asking what the pay started out as?
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Normally yes, it shows you have the necessary fundamentals under your belt in regards to Routing/Switch and IP addressing etc.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Really depends on the type of NOC. Such a broad term. If it's very network focused then CCNA will definitely help.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I feel like im pretty close to book my Net+ exam and after that I will be going for Sec+. I heard there is a bit of overlap in Sec+ so the studying won't be as long. Is this true?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm sure you can... It would also depend on the competition that applied to that position, the manager and what exactly they are looking for, and also how you might do in an interview. Are you really good at interviewing and can make up for not having qualifications another candidate might have? Assuming you should just keep applying for positions and go for CCNA since your trying to get into networking though. Best of luck
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks guys, I feel like im pretty close to book my Net+ exam and after that I will be going for Sec+. I heard there is a bit of overlap in Sec+ so the studying won't be as long. Is this true?

A little bit... I did find the Sec+ easier than the Net+ though.
  • Options
    I'm sure you can... It would also depend on the competition that applied to that position, the manager and what exactly they are looking for, and also how you might do in an interview. Are you really good at interviewing and can make up for not having qualifications another candidate might have? Assuming you should just keep applying for positions and go for CCNA since your trying to get into networking though. Best of luck

I think I have a bit of charm for interviews but struggle a tiny bit when asked technical questions. I do "know" the answers most of the time but have a hard time explaining the answer if that makes sense. I managed to get a Government Healthcare desktop support position with no experience which im very thankful for. I've been here for almost 3 years now and would like to move on to the networking side and become a network engineer/network architect in the future. Would a CCNP get you a network engineer position or would it be a CCIE level cert?

Do you guys think its smart to move out of the Government\Healthcare if no network positions come available or try and wait it out for a year or so and see if any network positions come up?
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can't even volunteer anywhere. Last interview I had, it looks like the next best skill to have is scripting. I think I'm gonna do that and MCSA on the side icon_twisted.gif
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    I can't even volunteer anywhere. Last interview I had, it looks like the next best skill to have is scripting. I think I'm gonna do that and MCSA on the side icon_twisted.gif

Yes I was looking into scripting and heard Python would be a great one to start with
  • Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been with my current company for little over a year as a tier 1 NOC Technician. I was able to get the job with A+/Sec+ after 2 years at a help desk. I know many of my peers do not hold any certifications or a degree; level of technical knowledge vary greatly among the techs here.

As far as salary, it mostly depends on the area you are in. The salary at my current company for tier 1 ranges from low to high 30's, which is a lot lower than the average (low 40's I believe). There are abundance of candidates for entry level IT jobs in the area, which probably is causing that low figure.

I am currently in the market for a networking role myself and it doesn't seem easy to break into a pure networking role without much hands on experience. I troubleshoot network issues on a daily basis but lack direct access to any network equipment. It may be best for you to see if your current workplace will allow increased responsibilities in network area and possibly transition into junior network or tier 2 position at a NOC.

CCNP or even CCIE probably will not get your a networking role if you do not have the experience to back it up. I also do not see how someone would be able to retain that level of knowledge if not working with it daily.

Good luck with whichever route you decide to take.
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • Options
    ypark wrote: »
    I have been with my current company for little over a year as a tier 1 NOC Technician. I was able to get the job with A+/Sec+ after 2 years at a help desk. I know many of my peers do not hold any certifications or a degree; level of technical knowledge vary greatly among the techs here.

As far as salary, it mostly depends on the area you are in. The salary at my current company for tier 1 ranges from low to high 30's, which is a lot lower than the average (low 40's I believe). There are abundance of candidates for entry level IT jobs in the area, which probably is causing that low figure.

I am currently in the market for a networking role myself and it doesn't seem easy to break into a pure networking role without much hands on experience. I troubleshoot network issues on a daily basis but lack direct access to any network equipment. It may be best for you to see if your current workplace will allow increased responsibilities in network area and possibly transition into junior network or tier 2 position at a NOC.

CCNP or even CCIE probably will not get your a networking role if you do not have the experience to back it up. I also do not see how someone would be able to retain that level of knowledge if not working with it daily.

Good luck with whichever route you decide to take.

Do you find that you're still learning with the NOC position or that you learned a lot in the beginning about networking?
  • Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you find that you're still learning with the NOC position or that you learned a lot in the beginning about networking?

When I first got this position, I had no idea what I was doing. I had done 2 years of help desk in an all Windows environment supporting about 200 users. My current company is a Linux shop supporting colo/dedicated customers in about 20 data centers all over the country. I learned tons in the first six months and by the time I hit one year at the job, it wasn't challenging nor exciting. I just do much troubleshooting as I can before escalating since I lack access and also knowledge in many cases.

One of the best perk about being at a data center was the exposure to ISP/DC network environment. Seeing routing equipment that costs $100k, running 10G fibers and dealing with BGP was exciting and not many places will be able to provide such exposure. I was leaning toward SysAdmin side of the career before this job and now I am sure network engineer is what I want to be.

Hope some of the info I provided is helpful.
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    So once in the NOC / networking role you can gain experience.
    But you need experience to get the NOC / networking role.
  • Options
    FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144
    It depends , some require CCNA some require just a degree and then there is my NOC which required CCNA/CCNP yet they have me doing SDH/DWDM stuff and about 5% IP networking sigh...........
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,049 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think I have a bit of charm for interviews but struggle a tiny bit when asked technical questions. I do "know" the answers most of the time but have a hard time explaining the answer if that makes sense. I managed to get a Government Healthcare desktop support position with no experience which im very thankful for. I've been here for almost 3 years now and would like to move on to the networking side and become a network engineer/network architect in the future. Would a CCNP get you a network engineer position or would it be a CCIE level cert?

Do you guys think its smart to move out of the Government\Healthcare if no network positions come available or try and wait it out for a year or so and see if any network positions come up?

If you have trouble explaining concepts.... then maybe you dont "know" it as well as you think?
    (They say that you KNOW a concept, if you can EXPLAIN it fully to someone else)

You got a Government Healthcare desktop position...
    What exactly does that mean?
    Who's the company/entity that signs your paycheck?
    What "government" are you talking about? (your profile says Canada)

I guess im asking: Are you a direct government employee... or just a government contractor?

The Security+ isn't bad to get... especially if you are chasing US Contracting gigs.
    But if you Think you want to be a network guy... maybe go for the CCNA after your Net+.

To answer you Main question:
    Never let a job "hold you back" from what you really want to do; ESPECIALLY if you aren't learning new skills at your current place.

Maybe you should stay where you are; while you earn your Net+. Then go straight for the CCNA; take maybe 6-8 months.
    THEN, reevaluate your job. If no positions have opened up.... Move On :]
  • Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    The catch 22 of IT. Irritating isn't it?
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    fmitawaps wrote: »

Nicely stated.... icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University