CCNP - Route: Best Way to Lab?

Kenneth196Kenneth196 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I'm going to start studying for the CCNP Route. I'll mainly use FLG, Chris Bryant vids, and the CCNP Route Lab Manual. Is GNS3 still a valid way to lab (for the Route exam atleast)? I've never used GNS3 before so I'll need to learn how to use it, but just making sure.

Thanks!
"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks." - Unknown

Comments

• azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm using UNL (Unified Networking Lab) as an alternative to GNS3 for ROUTE (think of it as a 3rd party, WebUI, non-subscription version of VIRL). But as with GNS3, you do have to source your own IOS images.
    Seeing that both the OCG and FLG don't come with full configs for their examples/labs, you do learn a lot trying to generate the config yourself based on a topology, some lines of code and show commands (and reading the authors mind for things not written down).
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    azaghul wrote: »
    I'm using UNL (Unified Networking Lab) as an alternative to GNS3 for ROUTE (think of it as a 3rd party, WebUI, non-subscription version of VIRL). But as with GNS3, you do have to source your own IOS images.
    Seeing that both the OCG and FLG don't come with full configs for their examples/labs, you do learn a lot trying to generate the config yourself based on a topology, some lines of code and show commands (and reading the authors mind for things not written down).

How do you find UNL? Any Pros / Cons compared to GNS3 ? Do you still have to license the IOUs?
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How do you find UNL? Any Pros / Cons compared to GNS3 ? Do you still have to license the IOUs?

I've been using UNL for over a year now, and have not used GNS3 since.
    Pros and Cons? Hard to say, I think its really a mater of what you are used to, but UNL has improved greatly since reaching v1.0.x, and I can't see myself going back to GNS3 in a hurry. I did have a look at a GNS3 v1.x, but found it rather convoluted with the need for a VM for IOL/vIOS. The main pros would be its multi-platform capability... a wealth of Cisco support, dynamips, Nexus, ASR, ASA, vIOS, ACS, IOL, etc, along with F5, Fortinet, Juniper, Palo Alto, vPC and many more. Do a search on "UNL vs GNS3", there are a few comparisons out there.
    The licensing restrictions are still there for all platforms, regardless of vendor. Just as GNS3 requires a legal copy of IOS, IOL still needs a key. Still, people find what they need, its just a matter of looking.:)
    And remember, health competition spurs development, so we all win in the end!
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    azaghul wrote: »
    I've been using UNL for over a year now, and have not used GNS3 since.
    Pros and Cons? Hard to say, I think its really a mater of what you are used to, but UNL has improved greatly since reaching v1.0.x, and I can't see myself going back to GNS3 in a hurry. I did have a look at a GNS3 v1.x, but found it rather convoluted with the need for a VM for IOL/vIOS. The main pros would be its multi-platform capability... a wealth of Cisco support, dynamips, Nexus, ASR, ASA, vIOS, ACS, IOL, etc, along with F5, Fortinet, Juniper, Palo Alto, vPC and many more. Do a search on "UNL vs GNS3", there are a few comparisons out there.
    The licensing restrictions are still there for all platforms, regardless of vendor. Just as GNS3 requires a legal copy of IOS, IOL still needs a key. Still, people find what they need, its just a matter of looking.:)
    And remember, health competition spurs development, so we all win in the end!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yeah, I looked at it a while ago, the GUI seemed very nice and modern but I didn't try it out back then - stuck to GNS3. Just wanted to hear it from someone in this community who's used it as an alternative to GNS3. Might check it out sometime soon :)
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I strictly used GNS3 for all my NP prep, route and switch. It should more than meet your needs should you have the correct IOS version running. Another option would be VIRL which I will be moving to for IE studies.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have a VMware box, there is also CSR-1000V (IOS XE). The command syntax is almost identical to IOS, but the IOS is modularized and designed to run on Intel x86 Processors. That is what they use at the CCIE level. It will do most everything except Serial WAN.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]