Options

OSCP , GCIH, or CISSP

stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
Trying to decide my next course of action as far as what to take OSCP , GCIH, or CISSP I would take GCIH, or CISSP through SANS via Live Training in Dec or April. if I don't go in Dec I would consider OSCP or just saving the money I will pay for most of this out of pocket but will get reimbursed via work. I would probably just pay for OSCP out of pocket for myself.

I do have a specific question ref OSCP I am taking out courses in Kali right now to build up to OSCP can anyone tell me if they are using kali 2.0 or 2016.1 /2016.2 with out getting into NDA trouble. I am currently running 2016.2 in a very secure mode setting up some of my old SANS labs to get back into things as well as going to start this weekend with the free metasploit training.

OSCP=$800 -1 month
GCIH=$2700 3 months
CISSP=$3100 6 months
Free Reading : History Books

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The kali update just came out, I'd be surprised if they were already changing the course to use it, but I'm sure there are people here actively in the course who could check in.

As for the certs, they're all kind of different directions so it really depends on what you want to do. Pen testing, IR/analystics and policy/management/general. They are all in security but all different, so the order shouldn't really matter especially if it doesn't change your career options or plans.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CISSP looks best on the resume. OSCP/GCIH will have the most real-world skills you can immediately sit down & use. GCIH could essentially be considered an intro to OSCP. Not at all required for OSCP, but it does introduce concepts & tools. If you're comfortable with *nix and have basic knowledge of hacking toolsets, I'd just do the OSCP
  • Options
    DollarhydeDollarhyde Member Posts: 111
    I would not necessarily consider OSCP for 1 month except if you are very experienced pentester and do this on a daily basis. Most people take longer than 1 month, as this is not one of your regular study a book and take a cert, it is a practical certification that no other multiple-choice exam compares to. For the lab and the exam you get a kali specifically built for PWK, you are not required to use it, however it is built in a way that buffer overflow exercises will be successful if done correctly, however if you are using a different or updated kali that may not be the case. They do not limit you by any distro, you can use whatever you want. CISSP is just a management cert, which has nothing to do with pentesting, and I would probably consider GPEN as a pre OSCP if that is one of your options.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    nopx90nopx90 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would actually consider a month myself. Just so after a month I could evaluate my skill set and sharpen the axe so to speak before purchasing more lab time. After my first stint I had assembly to review, python, and C. And more!

You can self study CISSP. No need to spend your hard earned money there....

How in the hell is GCIH so cheap for you?
  • Options
    stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All of the above your tax dollars at work :)
    Free Reading : History Books