Options

Using a server as a router - One Ethernet Card?

qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
Just curious, is there any possible way to make a server a router with only ONE ethernet card?
World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Depends on your definition of routing, I suppose you could have the packet routed directly back to where it came from. :D

Otherwise, no.
  • Options
    Well the issue is...

Four computers,

1. Server2k3 /w AD, DNS, DHCP (Static IP - Subnet #1)
    2. Server 2k3 /w DHCP Relay, WINS (Static IP - Subnet #2)
    3. XP Client (Dynamic IP - Subnet #1)
    4. XP Client (Dynamic IP - Subnet #2)

Connectivity Device? Well it's a 8 port switch. This is for a schoo lab, normally our teachers don't like us messing around with the nics so they tell us to not touch them. I really can't get this working exactly at all since when a computer is booted, and it wants an IP address, it broadacsts through the switch and sends it to the main DHCP, not the relay.

edit: fixed subnet error.
  • Options
    I'm not quite understanding what you're trying to do, and I may not be the right person to ask, I'm just starting to study for 290. I can tell you that when the computer broadcasts looking for a DHCP it's obviously not sending it to any particular server, it gets the address of the first one to respond I believe.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmmm, I'm not completely sure, but I do not think this is possible. To my understanding a router routes data from one source to a destination. So based on that you would need one input to receive the incoming data from the source and another to transfer the data to the destination. I definitely don't see how a one NIC could work for sending/receiving data between subnets.
  • Options
    GogousaGogousa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is something I don't understand. Why do you have the DHCP Relay on subnet #1, shouldn't be in subnet #2.
    A relay on subnet # 2 would intercept the broadcasts for DHCP from the clients on this subnet and forward them to the DCHP server on subnet #1.
    Is this what you are trying to do?
  • Options
    Gogousa wrote:
    There is something I don't understand. Why do you have the DHCP Relay on subnet #1, shouldn't be in subnet #2.
    A relay on subnet # 2 would intercept the broadcasts for DHCP from the clients on this subnet and forward them to the DCHP server on subnet #1.
    Is this what you are trying to do?

Yeah, typo. Just copied/pasted.
  • Options
    If the clients are configured to get a addresses dynamically then there is no way to insure what subnet the client will be on. If they're configured to be static, then the DHCP servers would be pointless.
  • Options
    My advice would be to find yourself a router and another hub or switch. Using two switches and a router you should be able to achieve two subnets that can communicate with each other.
  • Options
    gabrielbtoledogabrielbtoledo Member Posts: 217
    One router and one switch with VLANs should do the job.
    A+ Certified - Network+ - MCP (70-290)
    MCSA - CCNA - Security+ (soon)