Options

Do I apply for this job?

Benj94Benj94 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
The fact i'm even writing this threads shows that I am leaning towards applying.

Backstory

Four years Service Desk experience.
Just joined a Local Government Service Desk. Been in the role two months. Better pay, better exposure, better organisation to work for.
I joined with the intention of getting into Server Support.
I have been studying Net+, and will be studying the MCSA as soon as I'm done.

Dilemma

A Network Analyst job has come up and I am genuinely interested. I would like to apply for this job, but still see myself ultimately in a Server Support role. These two jobs are on the same pay grade. I've also only been in my role two months and my training is still on-going.

I believe I would really enjoy the job and would earn more money, but it would distance me from my Server Support aspirations, as I would get more exposure on the Service Desk.

I'm really unsure whether to go for it, and really just want some opinions and would like to hear what you network guys think!
Help icon_sad.gif

Server and Storage Analyst
CompTIA A+
MSCA: Server 2016 - 70-710 70-711 70-712

Comments

• Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    I would just to see what they say.

However if you really like where you are and just started I wouldn't blame you for not doing so. Giving the perception of a job frogger on your resume definitely sucks.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Apply. What is the worst that can happen?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Apply. What is the worst that can happen?

A Server Support job could get advertised on the first day of my new role icon_redface.gif

I feel as though I'd really enjoy the job and it's a step up, but being a Network Analyst wasn't in my immediate plans.
    I'm going to think on it over the weekend as I have a bit of time before the deadline.

CompTIA A+
  • Options
    SynosisSynosis Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't stay if you have an end goal. I recently left the service desk. The only jobs recruiters would primarily ask for was other help desk roles. Thank goodness I went to a good college and my service desk gave some security principles. I can now specialize more in my field of interest. The sooner you do it the better. If you can afford the risk I'd do it.
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is this a job within the same company (Local Government) or would you be interviewing at a different company?
  • Options
    brewboy wrote: »
    Is this a job within the same company (Local Government) or would you be interviewing at a different company?

Same company. I would be working a whole 10 feet away from where I work currently.

CompTIA A+
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    definitely apply. you can decide down the line if you want to take the job if offered.
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your current manager may not like it if you apply for other in house positions 2 months into your new position and not even out of training yet. May want to hold off.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would apply but be frank with your aspirations. "I really want to get into server support and I think I would learn a lot about networking while in this role on my way to server support eventually". Just be careful that you don't give the impression that you are just trying to take anything to get out of the service desk.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've never worked for the government, but a lot of companies have it where you can't even apply to other internal positions if you haven't work there for like 9 months. Is that now how it is for government jobs?
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kinda what NOTWHATHACKINGYOU said. If I am reading this correctly you have been there for 2 months??? Then your applying for a different position. I would wait get a cert for the server role then you have backing. Wait a Year if you want to stay. I am sure they are getting flooded with others more qualified then you if it went out to the public.
    If I was the hiring manager and hired someone for a Service Desk position and he wanted to move up to NW/Server/telco in 2 months I would be pissed. Its a PITA to go hire someone.
    You might be the first inline for a layoff.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As other said, read the policies the company has on internal moves and promotions. This will be categorized as a promotions. Many company dont allow such moves until you have been with them for at least 6 months. You got your foot in the door, be patient.