Options

Request to reassess job title and description

carraway_carraway_ Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm in an awkward situation with my company. I am currently the sole system administrator for my company of about 150 employees.

A couple of months ago, I was talking to a friend about a mobile game I was developing in my spare time. A manager overhears our conversation and tells me about a simple mobile application they wanted to develop for the company. He showed me the quote a professional firm gave to them to do the job, and asked if I wanted to do it.

I was able to get the app created and uploaded to the Google and Apple app store within a week or so (it was a very simple quoting app that gets basic information and sends an email to that departments team for them to follow up on).

Recently, they have been bringing more and more programming related tasks to me. The most recent is a new, more complex app that would take a lot of time to complete, given that I still need to do my normal system admin duties as well.

Today I submitted a request to reassess my job title and description and a relevant bump in my salary to reflect these new duties I have been working on.

Normally I wouldn't say anything and wait for the first of the year for my performance review and raise, but I couldn't live with me undervaluing myself anymore. My concern is that they will attempt to look for someone to replace me that will do these new duties for what I'm currently being paid (which is on the low side to begin with).

I guess I'm just looking for others that have went through this to settle my nerves while I await the CEO and CFO's decision.

Comments

• Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You did the right thing. First it sounds like it would be hard to replace you. You have systems admin and a developers skill set. Not many folks have that dual skill set. And even if they do find someone with that skill set they are likely to want much more money than you are making. You said you are already on the low side. Lastly even if they find someone with the sys admin/developer dual skill set(hard) and someone within their budget(even harder) they still won't have to company knowledge that you do. And I've said it many times company knowledge is a hugely valuable skill itself.

One more point even if they got rid of you with a sys admin and developers skill set you likely wouldn't be out of work very long.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @carraway - Most of the people I have worked with who assumed both task were known as system engineers. Currently I work with a guy (not directly) that built us a front end with data layer and database tables on a "project". But main role is to manage the systems etc. He goes by the title system engineer, oddly enough or maybe not, back years ago I worked with a gal who did something similar, she was over our SCCM and Wintel stack but would bang out VB.net apps for the service desk, desktop support etc whenever a tool was needed. She was also a "system engineer".

I personally think Senior System Engineer would be a nice title. It still captures your admin responsibilities but also brings in the element of scripting and developing.

I'm a Business Analyst by title but develop/manage/tune data warehouses and ETL feeds (50%) of the time. I even posted my responsibilities on a database forum and almost everybody called me an ETL developer. Frustrating to say the least..........

One last thing, I've recently lost out on a position due to my title. The hiring manager saw my title and was freaked out. They lumped me in your typical powerpoint vba scripting BA, when in fact I am FAR beyond that. So FWIW stick to your guns and get that title.

Just my two cents.
  • Options
    carraway_carraway_ Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

My boss spoke to the CFO and they agreed that since it's close to the end of the year, they would reevaluate my job description and title and hopefully give me a sizable raise.

Now to wait and see. My goal at the moment is to work on this new app and wow the hell out of them to show I'm worth a raise. Usually I don't worry too heavily on the visuals but I'm going all out for this one.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    carraway_ wrote: »
    My boss spoke to the CFO and they agreed that since it's close to the end of the year, they would reevaluate my job description and title and hopefully give me a sizable raise.

Now to wait and see. My goal at the moment is to work on this new app and wow the hell out of them to show I'm worth a raise. Usually I don't worry too heavily on the visuals but I'm going all out for this one.

If i may jump in here with (questionable) advice:

A) Don't work TOO fast on that app :]
    Afterall, you are a very busy man (with your current job responsibilities and all).

B) Why not give them the Job Title that you WANT to be?
    (if it maters to you)

C) how long have you worked with this company?
    Did you learn these programming skills at your current job?
    How much experience (in total) do you have?

~ I have it be honest; it SOUNDS like you have a LOT of leverage here.
    You are the sole Sys Admin at the company; and now you are about to start doing developing.
    (good for you, btw. it's really awesome)

it might be time to do a little homework. Research what the payrate is for your developer skills. Factor in your geographical location. DO some self reflection, and come up with a Number that you WANT as compensation. (don't be afraid to ask the members here for their insight).

D)
    ...they would reevaluate my job description and title and hopefully give me a sizable raise.
    My goal at the moment is to work on this new app and wow the hell out of them to show I'm worth a raise.
    I get where you're coming from... but i disagree with your perspective.
    You are ALREADY worth the raise.

If your employer doesn't agree.... then you should seriously consider seeking new employment.
    (gasp)

If your employer tries to stall on the reevaluation until the new year... then you should suspend any new development projects. (afterall, NOT in your current job description)

With that being said,
    There is a strong possibility that your employer will agree to a raise... but it won't be as competitive as you had hoped.

So... what then?
    :]