Options

Career path with certifications ?

Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, i am a current student at Jones junior county college working on my last semester in computer networking, i plan to transfer to a university since i haven't received that much hands on, mostly everything is done through the netacad as far as routing and switching goes. But as for the certifications i cant believe how many there are in the networking industry as apposed to any other fields, i know im going to try to get my A+ before i graduate, but from there i dont know if i should go through comp tia or cisco for network and security or if there even really needed. I also have difficulty with trying to figure out what Microsoft certs i should aim for, right now im doing the whole configuring advanced windows server 2012r2 in my server class, but from what i see online there are additional books that are apart of server. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    tabspacetabspace Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't overwhelm yourself and take it one step at a time. Since you have no experience, it's a safe bet to start with a vendor neutral cert such as CompTIA A+, Network+ and go from their.
  • Options
    amicmanzoamicmanzo Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tabspace wrote: »
    Don't overwhelm yourself and take it one step at a time. Since you have no experience, it's a safe bet to start with a vendor neutral cert such as CompTIA A+, Network+ and go from their.

I definitely agree with you. Wait till you get your first job within the industry so that you have a better understanding of what route to take then. Who knows, what you're studying now might not interest you later. The cyber field is VAST, no wrong direction in whichever path you take
  • Options
    mnashemnashe Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd choose a Cisco CCNA over A+ or Network+. I feel that's a certification that you can't go wrong with.

If you feel it's too much, start with the CCENT

I'm personally not a fan of CompTIA certifications