Options

What topics from RS should I learn after a CCNP RS before moving into Security

SeekBytesSeekBytes Member Posts: 143
Dear members.

I wanted to ask you for an advice. I am on the way to complete my CCNP RS and unfortunately I see that I am not knowledgeable of many areas like Multicasts, BGP (just scratched the surface), MPLS, QoS, and a lot of TCP/IP.

I would like to become a network security engineer, but before I switch to the CCNA/CCNP track I thought to ask for advice and see what books to read for getting deeper into topics that I must know regardless the field I want to pursue.

Would you mind to share a list of topics/books of must-know things that I can study? Unfortunately, CCIE RS seems to me a never-ending route and at actual stage rather than getting stuck for the next two years on it, I would prefer to complete other certifications and eventually landing a network security position.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards.

Comments

• Options
    FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144
    SeekBytes wrote: »
    Dear members.

I wanted to ask you for an advice. I am on the way to complete my CCNP RS and unfortunately I see that I am not knowledgeable of many areas like Multicasts, BGP (just scratched the surface), MPLS, QoS, and a lot of TCP/IP.

I would like to become a network security engineer, but before I switch to the CCNA/CCNP track I thought to ask for advice and see what books to read for getting deeper into topics that I must know regardless the field I want to pursue.

Would you mind to share a list of topics/books of must-know things that I can study? Unfortunately, CCIE RS seems to me a never-ending route and at actual stage rather than getting stuck for the next two years on it, I would prefer to complete other certifications and eventually landing a network security position.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards.

Honestly don`t worry about QOS, MPLS and BGP really unless u work in an ISP, focus on ur security certs after your CCNP routing and switching.

Also a good book to read after CCNA/CCNP routing and switching is the Network warrior by Gary A. Donahue.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    QoS, BGP and MPLS would've been great for CCIP (or whatever it is now), but not a necessity for security. I would say jump into CCNP Security assuming you work in a Cisco shop and want to keep those certs current.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS