Options

Is Comptia A+ the 'easiest' certification for admissions - WGU?

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
After speaking to my admissions counselor, it seems that my computer science classes I previously took may be considered lower level and not upper level classes.

So, this may be a hurdle in the admissions process. Of course he sent me the link of all the certifications that I could take to help with my admissions profile.

He stated that some of the Microsoft certifications may be easier to accomplish then the A+ such as the Microsoft Exam 70-680: TS: Windows 7, Configuring.

Does anyone have any knowledge on these certifications/exams?

Comments

• Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    No way, i would say the 70-680 is much more difficult than the A+. While the A+ is more expensive and comprises of two exams, i believe the content is easier to understand and more cut and dry. Microsoft is vague with a lot of their questions (i've taken a good amount of exams) and sometimes there is two answers that would work but Microsoft wants the Microsoft answer. A+ when i took it (i took the 800 level exam long ago) is more cut and dry. What is this? How do you fix this? What is the first step in this process? Those are really cut and dry and other than some vague print processing questions everything is very cut and dry.

With that said though, I would get both of those certifications regardless. A+ is heavy in troubleshooting and hardware knowledge and the 70-680 will require you to know a lot about Windows 7.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Someone shot me a PM and told me check out the COMPTIA Project + exam, if I am looking for in terms of 'easy'?

Thoughts?
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    A+ is probably one of the easiest IMO. I can't comment on Project+, i haven't taken or looked into it.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From a time/cost perspective, I'd recommend an MTA. The one I took is retired now, but that was ridiculously easy. If you know a decent amount about Windows 7, I'd just do that.
  • Options
    Yea, my counselor probably was referring to one of those MTA.

In terms of money, Project + right now is $50.00....
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I actually failed P+ the first time around because of how dry the material was. So I'd probably base it on whichever one you think you can get through the quickest since both are cheap.
  • Options
    mandy7777mandy7777 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't taking any A+ yet, but i got the 70-680 Passed Long time ago. From what i heard my friend who got the got both, he said the A+ is a lot easier than the 680.
    When life gives you lemons, make lemonade:thumbup:
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    "easy" is relative to one's experience.

If you have hands-on experience in a particular area, the material will seem...'easy'. CompTIA generously provides objective lists for all their exams, review the exam objectives to the items you are interested in and proceed from there.

Good luck.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @=Daneil3144
    Project+ for $50 is the beta for version four of the exam. You likely won't see results on that until sometime in 2017.

If you're good with business type stuff, Project+ v3 would be fairly easy, you'd just need to go through and learn the formulas and acronyms.

Network+ is another one to consider over the A+. A+ requires two tests to achieve, so you'd be studying twice, whereas Network+ only has one test, but the information isn't as "easy" to learn.
  • Options
    @=EnderWiggin;

So, I won't be able to see if I pass or fail until a few months down the road?
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Indeed. They're having people take the beta, so they can then analyze the results, and determine a passing score, whether some questions are too hard or need rewording, ect. And all of that takes a few months after the beta closes. For example, I took the Cybersecurity Analyst+ beta in July, and they've already said results won't be out until at least January, at the earliest.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If I remember correctly, the A+ will knock out two separate WGU classes. Definitely makes more sense to me than the MCTS, which (while not hard) was not as straightforward as A+ was to me. I would study up, get some short-life vouchers on a voucher resale site, and get the A+.
  • Options
    @=PJ_Sneakers;

Short-Life Voucher? What is this, you speak of?
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When the vouchers that have been pre-purchased by voucher resellers get close to expiring, they let them go for cheap. But you have to use them before they expire, so you shouldn't buy one until you're ready to take the test.
  • Options
    quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    I finished the Project+ in one week, so I'd say if you can get over how dry the material is (spoiler alert, it's really dry), that's probably the easiest. There really isn't a ton of material to cover. I used the Sybex book as my only source of study and passed with ease.