Options

CISSP Failed 9/16/2016

Deadly-DosageDeadly-Dosage Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well, it was very challenging and what I thought I was prepared for I didn't see.

I did prepare using the Cybrary.it CISSP series by Kelly Handerhan (Excellent tips on how to recall critical items and enjoyable). I have the ISC2 Sybrex CISSP 7th edition as well and read it cover to cover once (should have focused on the Exam essential to hone in on weaknesses more than reading to gain knowledge) and answered the chapter questions. I also downloaded the ISC2 CISSP app (at long waits on appointments or casually reading the flashcards, the questions are from the chapter reviews in the 7th edition) to continue the cram. I attended a 3 week, 4 day, 3.5 hour "boot camp" class which was more of story time for the instructor versus hitting the objectives of the Domains. I did last minute splurged on the 11th Hour digital Kindle Sept 3, 2016 edition, 3 days before (should have read this instead!) and finally got the ISC2 Practice test questions (July 5, 2016) which actually felt like the closest to the real thing in style and substance. All in all about 65 days of studying in so form or another.

I finished in 3 hours and "thought" like an adviser or manager. I also thought about how sometimes management calls us to do things as an admin or info security and saw that in the scenarios. I tried to key in on terms or actions managers or adviser would do. You had to be a jack of all master of none type for this, "the mile wide an inch deep" was very true.

I took a break at 125 question mark to stretch and come back fresh, that was tough to get pass 175 question

Weakest to strongest areas:
Comm & Net Sec
Id & Access Mgnt
Sec Ops
Asset Sec
Sec & Risk Mgnt
Sec Eng
Sec Assesment & Testing
SW Dev Sec

Scored a 637. I think I *knew* the material but didn't apply it well or got caught between good or best answers. I did not change any.

I have about 16 years in Information Assurance with 5 in military full time Cybersecurity and it comes down to knowing what they were asking for. I didn't know a few terms so if I had to do it again (looks like in 30 daysicon_lol.gif) I would know the terms so you can make at least an *educated guess*.

Thanks for the great tips and let me cry for a bit.icon_redface.gif

JD

Comments

• Options
    Nabsh07Nabsh07 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JD sorry to hear about your situation. I suggest that you take some more time practicing the question . The question you get wrong look up their answers as why you got them wrong.

Do you mind sharing as how you did on the practice exams?
  • Options
    Thanks Nabsh07, I was getting about 65% on the Wiley ISC2 practice test questions and those were the closest. I have a test simulator with the premium VCE and get about a 63%. 1 mistake I make was I started the practice tests about 1 week out from the test. The ISC2 practice test book was the closest tot he question style and challenge while the others were helping me learn through challenging my recall on the subject. Funny thing, I read the very back cover of the Sybrex CISSP ed 7 and in red it states: If you score a 90% on the practice questions, you'll pass. So that's the goal in the next 30 days, 90% on the practice tests.

Also, I have 1 test under my belt so I know what to expect versus the anxiety of the unknown. Thanks for asking!

JD
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What's a premium vce?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    That's the label on the VCE I received from a boot camp at the university I attended. The VCE was created in July 2015 so questions from that time frame. It's very basic but well written.
  • Options
    ivx502ivx502 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At anytime during your cram sessions did you take a serious break? I know every person is different but some exams I have tried cramming all the way up to one hour before the exam. Typically I did miserable on those, but I learned to stop studying entirely 12 hours before an exam to give myself some time to let the information soak in.

Also if you remember there's the way it is done, and the ISC2 way which according to ISC2 is the only way.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2 months of studying for this difficult test is NOT enough, unless you are a great test taker. I would suggest a minimum of 6 months up to a year to study for CISSP. You need to know everything left, right, up, down, etc...according to my cousin whom passed it 2yrs ago. It is definitely worth getting though, he is making $6figures. Best of luck on your next attempt!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shochan wrote: »
    2 months of studying for this difficult test is NOT enough, unless you are a great test taker. I would suggest a minimum of 6 months up to a year to study for CISSP. You need to know everything left, right, up, down, etc...according to my cousin whom passed it 2yrs ago. It is definitely worth getting though, he is making $6figures. Best of luck on your next attempt!

To become a really good exam taker you need lots of practice taking exams as well. I know it sounds a bit pedantic but its still true. Keep in mind this is an experience exam and has nothing to do with traditional management concepts as people try to twist the exam into some sort of pretzel. Expect to study and review each of the eight domains another two weeks apiece before moving on. Depending on your study habits and how you best internalize information, consider expanding your study repertoire to include at least one quiz book. There are almost 1000 pieces of study materials available for this exam, so there is something for everybody out there to help them pass.

@OP

What materials did you use to study? Any quiz books?
    How long were you in front of the screen/exam?
    Did any one type of question feel more or less wrong or right in your mind than others?
    How did you feel about your exam knowledge before and right before you received your score?

These things should help the board zero in on helping you study.

- b/eads
  • Options
    No I didn't take a break. I am retiring, have a baby otw next month and have a future job based on "get'er dun". So I need to get my mind to click on the ISC2 way of thinking. I think have too much IA experience in my field is hurting me a bit. I need to back away from that and go ISC2 for the next 30 days or so. Thanks!
  • Options
    shochan wrote: »

Thank you! I am getting great feedback here! I took a 40 hour boot camp (a waste unfortunately) and then finished my BS. So from end of July to mid Sept I crammed daily all the way up to walking into the door. I figured there *might* be something key I'll pick up before I walk in. Thanks again!
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd say you probably have the wrong study materials. Use transcender, as that was the closest to the actual exam for a good study engine. Between that and the test engine in the harris book that I think got me over the edge.
  • Options
    kiki162 wrote: »
    I'd say you probably have the wrong study materials. Use transcender, as that was the closest to the actual exam for a good study engine. Between that and the test engine in the harris book that I think got me over the edge.
    Probably, the VCE I had barely hinted at some of the questions. I have Transcender but a pop blocker stopped me from use it. Looking at DragonDen's study method and what yall have put here is going to get me there. Thanks again for the input!

JD
  • Options
    beads wrote: »
    To become a really good exam taker you need lots of practice taking exams as well. I know it sounds a bit pedantic but its still true. Keep in mind this is an experience exam and has nothing to do with traditional management concepts as people try to twist the exam into some sort of pretzel. Expect to study and review each of the eight domains another two weeks apiece before moving on. Depending on your study habits and how you best internalize information, consider expanding your study repertoire to include at least one quiz book. There are almost 1000 pieces of study materials available for this exam, so there is something for everybody out there to help them pass.

@OP

What materials did you use to study? Any quiz books?
    How long were you in front of the screen/exam?
    Did any one type of question feel more or less wrong or right in your mind than others?
    How did you feel about your exam knowledge before and right before you received your score?

These things should help the board zero in on helping you study.

- b/eads
    Thanks for the focused approach. I think the key is being a better test taker. In most cases I knew what they were talking about, but couldn't discern the *BEST* answer. Dragonsden post is the same version test I took, very techie and I was a bit out of my league on those.
    For books, I had the Sybrex CISSP study guide Ed 7 and I bought the ISC2 Practice exams more last minute. The questions that truly gave me pause was the simply ones (over thinking) that revolved around CIA. Those gave me pause. Knowledge level, I am far from a cocky guy but I thought at least pass. I remember thinking "Where's the congratulations at on this page?" And I had to reality check myself and read the letter. Thanks again for taking the time!

JD
  • Options
    fodtest08fodtest08 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys, Do you have a link for an ebook version of the Wiley ISC 2 Practice Tests?
    I'm broke that I can't even buy one.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the focused approach. I think the key is being a better test taker. In most cases I knew what they were talking about, but couldn't discern the *BEST* answer. Dragonsden post is the same version test I took, very techie and I was a bit out of my league on those.
    For books, I had the Sybrex CISSP study guide Ed 7 and I bought the ISC2 Practice exams more last minute. The questions that truly gave me pause was the simply ones (over thinking) that revolved around CIA. Those gave me pause. Knowledge level, I am far from a cocky guy but I thought at least pass. I remember thinking "Where's the congratulations at on this page?" And I had to reality check myself and read the letter. Thanks again for taking the time!

JD

People tend to become a bit more anxious when taking a certification exam outside of academia and as a result - fail more often. Its a different animal, taking a pay as you go test versus the more insular feeling of taking a "school based test". Hence why I asked the questions I asked.

Yeah, find the big green "Rao" CISSP quiz book on Amazon. Just search for Rao and CISSP. It will come up. Its big, wordy and thick. Also has some of the longest boring questions in much the same format as the test. I learn best by quizzing then rereading what I missed. Sinks in better for me.

You have 6 hours. I have proctored exams and seen people take all 6 hours without taking the slightest of breaks and seen people take as little as 1 hour, 20 minutes and turn the whole exam in. Personally, I took 2 hour 20 minutes but took 5 breaks but was hardly the first one out the door. Point being. Take your time. Take breaks. It will go much less easier than trying to punish your way through the exam and you'll probably realize that one question 17 answers ago is really 'C' not 'D' and head back to find it on that screen, back and forth. Happens. Did it. Done it and seen others do exactly the same.

- b/eads
  • Options
    bradbunch33bradbunch33 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    fodtest08 wrote: »
    Hi guys, Do you have a link for an ebook version of the Wiley ISC 2 Practice Tests?
    I'm broke that I can't even buy one.

Fodtest08,
    Unfortunately, you have to buy the book in order to get the Access Code to gain access to the online Wiley Testbank version of the book. You have to answer a question that is specifically in that book in order to get the Access Code.
  • Options
    slim27jointslim27joint Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you! I am getting great feedback here! I took a 40 hour boot camp (a waste unfortunately) and then finished my BS. So from end of July to mid Sept I crammed daily all the way up to walking into the door. I figured there *might* be something key I'll pick up before I walk in. Thanks again!

If I were you, I would consider taking the CASP certification and then go on to CISM. Just jumping straight to CISSP no matter the experience is destined for failure in my opinion. Unless, you're an excellent test taker, I suggest building yourself up to that point from prior exam, school, and work experience.

You're trying to reach an objective. Find the best course of actions to help you reach that goal, even though it may not happen as fast as you like.
  • Options
    TreySongTreySong Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm sorry to hear that. Glad to know you're giving it another go.
  • Options
    kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    90% on the practice tests is a double-edged sword. Remember that when you are answering these questions that 'THESE ARE NOTHING like the actual test questions.' But from a Knowledge-based perspective, transcenders are quite useful.

Kalkan
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm taking a pass on this cert and going for the CASP.
  • Options
    BBBradBBBrad Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kalkan999 wrote: »
    90% on the practice tests is a double-edged sword. Remember that when you are answering these questions that 'THESE ARE NOTHING like the actual test questions.' But from a Knowledge-based perspective, transcenders are quite useful.

Kalkan

Kalkan,
    Your LinkedIn in your profile is not working. Is there a way to reach you directly on email address? Had a question for you! Thanks very much!

Cheers~
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wonder if he ever retook the exam. Two months of study is very short.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/isc-sscp-cissp/123805-cissp-passed-12-1-16-a.html#post1063939

According to that post, he was supposed to have retaken the exam on the 2nd. Haven't heard from him yet.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ha that was my post, didn't remember he had posted there. Hope he passed.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX