Options

Is network+ before security + worth it?

FloridabossFloridaboss Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I want to go into information security career. Working on an information management with security assurance degree.

Is network+ good to get before security +? I'm also working towards getting CCNA. Main thing is I want to get a job with some type of Cert and eventually get CISSP. Or should I just get security + , try to get an entry level job , get CCNA and then cissp

I need help figuring out what's gonna get me a job. I'm 22

Comments

• Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've heard conflicting statements on the subject. In my opinion it's personal preference. I'm getting the trio because I want to know everything from the ground up. Am I going to keep my A+ active when I get it? Probably not. Net and Sec+ most likely will be necessary for my route; Network Engineer/Network Admin.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So your working on your CCNA but plan on getting the Sec+ before it?? If your working on your CCNA get that... The Sec+ and Net+ have a little overlapping but not much. I would think a Net+ would look better than Sec+ for a entry level job though. But I think if you going for your Net+ I think you should just go for your CCNA instead imo.
  • Options
    FloridabossFloridaboss Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice

Trucido wrote: »
    I've heard conflicting statements on the subject. In my opinion it's personal preference. I'm getting the trio because I want to know everything from the ground up. Am I going to keep my A+ active when I get it? Probably not. Net and Sec+ most likely will be necessary for my route; Network Engineer/Network Admin.

Do you have the CCNA? If so what's so special about the A+? I really want to know how it would help me in an information security career.
  • Options
    JTNJTN Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Skyliinez92. I took the Net+ first then my Sec+. I found the Sec+ much easier because of the Net+ foundation. I'm currently studying for the CCNA and taking both the Net+ and Sec+ are helping a lot.
  • Options
    BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm always plugging Darill Gibson's book Security+ Get Certified for it's ease in obtaining that cert. Give yourself 10-15 days to religiously read a chapter each night and do all the practice tests.

Use this website to train your brain to memorize all the ports:
    https://memorize.com/network-port-number/benzart

If you can get 80 percent or greater on the practice exams, I'd say go for the Security+ cert before Network+.

Reason is there is a big push and a lot of pressure for corporations - especially those supporting government, DoD or finance to get their IT people certified in security. Look up the terms cybersecurity shortage and you will find a ton of articles on this.

If you are entry level, then Security+ is the checkmark that the HR manager is looking to fill. Network+ becomes a "good to have", but not required cert as long as you have a good grasp of tech (for an entry-level job). My guess is you start at the helpdesk and gain experience there before going into the network side. Or go for a security administrator job where they basically start you off with filing paperwork and installing updates and patches.

Talking with colleagues who have years of experience and IT certs, they are under gun to be fired if they do not have minimal security certifications by deadline. Look up "DoD 8570 chart" for the various levels of certification required by the government and military for each job in IT.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If your goal is to get a CCNA , then I would not pursue the NET+

Networking fundamentals are needed for any security role and you will find having net fundamentals will make your life easier while studying security certifications.

CCNA is a harder exam than the security+, so taking the harder exam before security+ is a little tough to view from the out look of your journey. CCNA is nice on the resume and its totally worth it. Network+ will give you all you need as far as fundamentals and is a little lighter on the complexity of networking technologies. Still though, doing net+ , security+, then going back to networking for CCNA is pretty tough. CCNA will help you in the longer run with CISSP if that is your ultimate goal. Look to spend 6 to 8 months studying the CCNA though, as opposed to the network+ which on average is 3-4 months of study time. These are conservative numbers, everyone has different study methods.

I guess you should gauge how much time your willing to invest and which route you want to take.

edit: ok i saw your age, 22.
    You are young, have plenty of energy, and time. I would study for CCNA r/s, then security+, CEH, SSCP. You wont have the required experience needed to take the CISSP. I would also look into CCNA Security as well.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Yes. I took the security + first and it was tough. Then when I took the networking +, I blazed through it. Had I done it the opposite, the S+ wouldn't have been near as hard.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the Network+ before the Security+ and it made the Security+ a lot easier. I scored the bare minimum needed to pass on the Network+ and received almost a perfect score on the Security+ afterwards. The information you learned from the Network+ helps you to identify some of the wrong answers and put yourself closer to the right answer on the Security+.

If you take it the other way around, you may see similar benefits as well.

Good luck!
  • Options
    NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Taking the Net+ before your Sec+ will definitely make the Sec+ sooo much easier.
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020
  • Options
    Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everything in Net+ about authentication, encryption protocols, management, and other security bits that I can't recall so well atm (more flash cards needed...) will be less to know for Security+.