Options

Whats the job market like with juniper certs?

Currently studying for ccna with exam scheduled for next week so I'm thinking about what to do next.

I only have helpdesk experience at present but want to move into network engineering. Obviously starting at Jr level/2nd line/noc etc.

Will juniper certs help me at this level?

Comments

• Options
    fmitawapsfmitawaps Banned Posts: 261
    Probably not. Only if you get into a company that has Juniper equipment.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    They won't hurt, but Cisco certification will definitely be more help.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    fmitawaps wrote: »
    Probably not. Only if you get into a company that has Juniper equipment.

Agreed.
    Don't chase the juniper cert unless you land a gig supporting it.

Not sure what cert you should pursue next, but i Will say this:
    Keep reviewing the ccna curriculum even after you pass; You want to keep that stuff FRESH in your head (so you can dazzle in any interviews)

I went about 10 months between getting my ccna, and Getting my network gig. (i went after other certs in the middle).

I was Surpriised at HOW much i forgot during that period. In hindsight, i should have went straight into the ccnp: rs.
  • Options
    mnashemnashe Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Agreed.
    Don't chase the juniper cert unless you land a gig supporting it.

Not sure what cert you should pursue next, but i Will say this:
    Keep reviewing the ccna curriculum even after you pass; You want to keep that stuff FRESH in your head (so you can dazzle in any interviews)

I went about 10 months between getting my ccna, and Getting my network gig. (i went after other certs in the middle).

I was Surpriised at HOW much i forgot during that period. In hindsight, i should have went straight into the ccnp: rs.

This is great advice. I couldn't agree more
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    I didn't think going straight into ccnp would have been a wide choice. All advise I've seen has said that ccnp needs a few years of on the job experience
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    I didn't think going straight into ccnp would have been a wide choice. All advise I've seen has said that ccnp needs a few years of on the job experience

Well... yes and No.

If you are working at a Helpdesk, then you are Not actively using what you learned.
    So... there can/will be rust.

Pursuing the CCNP is a good way to counteract this.
    So ... Why not??

Getting a CCNA can realistically be accomplished in 4-6 months.
    But the CCNP is probably closer to 12-18 months.

So, again.... why Not get started now.

Lastly, even if you did achieve your CCNP before you acquired on-the-job Network Experience...
    then just leave it off your resume.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you want to work with Juniper equipment? If yes, then there is your answer. If you just want to move further into networking, Juniper certificates are most likely not going to be your golden key.

I will say that since I did get my JCNIS-SEC though, I have been offered some Security Engineer roles - but the caveat with that is I already work in a similiar role. If I did not have the experience, I doubt that earning the certification alone would have opened any additional doors.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did the Juniper equivalent of the CCNA, the JNCIA, after completing the CCNA. There was quite a bit of overlap in terms of generic networking terms but I also learned some juniper specific stuff at the time. It won't take you long to pick up that juniper stuff and the cert is cheap iirc.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity