Options

Renewal question

Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just want to know if by re-passing your highest level certs latest version, security+ for example, can you continually renew the lower certs? Would there ever be a situation where you need to redo the lower certs too?

Comments

• Options
    Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There wouldn't be an instance were you would need to do the lower certs. For example if you sat Security+ and passed, it would automatically renew your A+ and Network+ for another 3 years. Likeways if you went higher again (CASP) all lower levels would be renewed.
  • Options
    Ah thanks for the answer. I have another question. Would the lower tier certs you have be updated to there latest version upon renewing your highest tier cert?
  • Options
    Unfortunately not....
  • Options
    So when the old versions are discontinued, are the lower tier certs still able to be renewed via latest highest tier?
  • Options
    Nik 99 wrote: »
    So when the old versions are discontinued, are the lower tier certs still able to be renewed via latest highest tier?

Yes for instance I have network+ n10-005 and sat the current version of Security+ within the past few months renewing my n10-005 for another 3 years. Comptia simply can't just upgrade you to current versions without actually studying the material and passing the latest exam.
  • Options
    Thanks again for answering my questions. I have looked at CompTIA's renewal page, but I don't think it covered the questions I put forward here well at all.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One thing to remember is this: employers don't ask which version of the cert you sat for. They only care if it is still current. By renewing your certs, they remain active and there is, technically, no need for upping the certificate version number.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DoD and government probably care if you have a Comptia "Good for Life" cert or whatever they call instead of the CE version, but I would agree that the version of a CE cert doesn't matter as long as you have kept it active by either passing higher level certs or through CEUs.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just checked my Network+ cert and it doesn't even list a version number(at least the latest copy I have downloaded.)