Options

Worries of taking on a new role before pay. Need some Advice

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I've been informally offered to come join the top tier network support group for my company (an upward positional move within). Which is great for me because I will see less of the daily grind junk and more of the very in-depth networking stuff. This presents a massive opportunity for me to learn and grow. Also I am hoping to leverage this position as an element to get financial and technical assistance chasing down my IE.

Now for the parts that have me worried...

So the informal part of this was I simply had a discussion with the hiring manager and he wants to bring me in but can't make me an official money / title offer until the beginning of 2017, due to hiring freezes. Which I understand this happens with very large corporations; I've been through it. However, the last time I have been through it all was from a previous job that really strung me along with it. In that previous job I ended up doing "the new job" for over a year before getting paid for it. By that time I was already 1 foot out the door because I felt used and the job wasn't what I wanted to ultimately be doing anyway.

I am just really worried of that happening again OR they seeing me as a liability because I am not officially "one of them" on paper.

I might be over worrying but want to tread carefully.

Thoughts?
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    That stinks. Say you want it in writing and that you won't do the new position unless the pay is there.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a good opportunity, but definitely get it in writing (paper), signed by upper management/HR (not just the hiring manager). This way you are covered if they "string you along?
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • Options
    Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Probably worth taking to get the experience. And up to you as to how firm you want any wording to be regarding raise in X time vs leaving the company etc. But even if they string you along, it will give you great new experience for your next job, right?
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even if they string you along, IMO still worth it for the experience if that's the path you want to take your career in.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Unless you're hurting for money and need a raise, I would take the position. Suppose they don't give you that raise, you're still getting higher level experience that makes your skill set more valuable, so if you do decide to make a jump to another company you can command more $$$$.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    man, get that in writing, and signed off by everyone. Getting the experience is cool and all, but i'll be damned if I'm going to join a high-level team, and NOT get compensated for it.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    To be clear they have indicated there will be a pay / title increase but just can't happen right now because of a hiring freeze. So earliest it could be is beginning of 2017.

The experience is invaluable though. This position is the top tier technical network operations team for the company. So it will put me within direct exposure to learn from SMEs and Design Engineers directly. I am doing the move for the career exposure to learn and grow; not chasing money (although money is nice to have).

I really don't get the vibe they would string me a long as this is a much different and higher exposure level of position than what I faced back in my old help desk days. I have also talked with a friend in the same group and he is telling me to take it and not worry.

Also I think it's worth mentioning this is my 4th vertical move within the company / Net-ops since joining in June of 2012, so they see my loyalties as well and my ambitions. I am already passing decade old engineers from my current and previous positions.
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sometimes you get paid in cash, sometimes you get paid in experience. Sometimes, you can get both. It is always your responsibility to get both but sometimes you must chose.

Get it in writing with a date for the raise and at least have them agree to a 'range' you will be in.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also I think it's worth mentioning this is my 4th vertical move within the company / Net-ops since joining in June of 2012, so they see my loyalties as well and my ambitions. I am already passing decade old engineers from my current and previous positions.

Or put another way:
    So the job that strung you along ended up giving you the experience to land a gig at your current employer?

Not really a bad deal!
    Sometimes you get paid in cash, sometimes you get paid in experience. Sometimes, you can get both.
    It is always your responsibility to get both but sometimes you must chose.
    Nice!
  • Options
    mnashemnashe Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd say 100% take the position and not worry. I wouldn't bother asking for it in writing, as that may make them feel like you don't trust them and trust is an important thing to have.

I've been in the same position and from experience know this will be the right decision for you. Like the others have said, the money will come later (either by them or some other company)
  • Options
    KalabasterKalabaster Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get in there, and if they start playing games that's fine because you have some god new stuff to put on that resume and make a great move. You'll get your money one way or another!
    Certifications: A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Linux+/LPIC-1/SUSE CLA, C|EH, eWPT, GMON, GWAPT, GCIH, eCPPT, GPEN, GXPN, OSCP, CISSP.
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: C178, C255, C100, C132, C164, C173, C172, C480, C455, ORA1, C182, C168, C394, C393, C451, C698, C697, C176, C456, C483, C170, C175, C169, C299, C246, C247, C376, C179, C278, C459, C463, C435, C436.
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my last job, I was contracted for entry-level work. I ended up jumping in and helping out with some sysadmin work. When I got laid off a few months later, that sysadmin experience enabled me to land my current role, which pays far more than I would've been able to get otherwise. Go with the delayed gratification. You'll get paid the same either way, but you can get extra experience, or you can waste away at entry-level.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take it, if they screw you around in 2017, I'd stay till at least the middle of the year and get more experience under your belt with a view to moving then.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    Thanks y'all. I think I will put my worries aside and welcome the role with open arms. If they screw me up... well this was nothing but a resume builder for 2017 then.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Thanks y'all. I think I will put my worries aside and welcome the role with open arms. If they screw me up... well this was nothing but a resume builder for 2017 then.
    BUT, get everything in writing.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....