Options

How to move up from service desk?

Hello all,

I hope you're well.

Just wanted to ask if anyone who used to work on a service desk especially in the UK, how did you personally progressed upwards in your IT career?

Any advice welcome.

Many thanks,

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1. Get the skills/certs in areas you want to go into
    2. Apply for positions in those areas
    3. Profit
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just get really good at what you want to do, as much as you are able to within the constraints of your present situation.
    Keep pressing to get a job which has more focus on that.
    Don't give up, don't be discouraged when it doesn't happen right away - just keep getting better!
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. Get the skills/certs in areas you want to go into
    2. Apply for positions in those areas
    3. Profit

^^^ Pretty much.

To add additionally... Be prepared to apply for MANY positions. I apped for 100+ jobs and went on at least a dozen interviews before I was able to crawl my way out of the help desk. Most cases companies are a little hesitant taking in someone with no experience in the said "high level roles" but you are bound to find someone that will take a chance on you. Once they do, show them what you got and keep yourself fully vested to show them how valuable of an employee you are and will continue to be.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Me getting certs and a degree helped me shine quite a bit and they slowly started adding more responsibility to my plate. Also, let your manager know your goals so s/he can help you move up.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Once I got my MCSA 2012 I applied for SA positions. Got several offers and took the one I felt that would gave me the most growth.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have skills/knowledge, you will have no problem getting out of helpdesk. Studying for certs will help you get out of there but try and find out what you want to do first so you can align your knowledge to your chosen path.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Like others have said. Getting a cert really helped me getting my foot in the door. Roll on 6 years (thanks to me being lazy) I am now in the job I wanted.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    knownhero wrote: »
    Like others have said. Getting a cert really helped me getting my foot in the door. Roll on 6 years (thanks to me being lazy) I am now in the job I wanted.

What job were you doing for 6 years and what are you doing now if you don't mind me asking?

Many thanks,