Options

linkedin

EmphasisxEmphasisx Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just joined how do I use it? I always read on here about people always getting contacted. How can I make that happen?

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You create a profile and put in your resume.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Google "How to make a great Linkedin Profile" and do that. Also, don't comment on anything that can show any sort of political or personal bias you may have towards anything. It's professional, so keep in that way. I never post anything or comment rudely to others in groups. If I do comment in a group it is only helpful advice, and even then I still avoid doing that to be honest because I don't want to potentially upset anyone.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    With the takeover of LinkedIn by Microsoft and introduction of chat bots (among other new "features"), I wonder if this social network will be able to remain relevant...
  • Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    varelg wrote: »
    With the takeover of LinkedIn by Microsoft and introduction of chat bots (among other new "features"), I wonder if this social network will be able to remain relevant...

Here, here...
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I never post anything or comment rudely to others in groups.

Definitely don't do that on LinkedIn. Save it for TechExams icon_cheers.gif
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    E Double U wrote: »
    Definitely don't do that on LinkedIn. Save it for TechExams icon_cheers.gif

Exactly you so and so. I love lamp.
  • Options
    JGDailyJGDaily Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I get hit up almost every other day for new career opportunities. Real ones too.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Same here
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used to get contacted almost every day about jobs via LinkedIn. Then I removed everything but the company names, dates I worked, and job titles. I'm trying to prevent a possible attacker from knowing what my agency uses to monitor, scan, and protect our network. All these years of working in security has made me paranoid. I figure the less I share with the world, the safer I'll be. I've received a lot fewer job notices, but that's ok. I'm really happy in my job and love my boss and have no plans to leave in the forseeable future.

That said, yesterday I received an inquiry via LinkedIn about a contract security analyst position paying $115 per hour...
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Same here. Since I started doing security I put no details whatsoever on LinkedIn. I do have my certs up to date along with any training I take so the offers come in on a weekly basis.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Same here. Since I started doing security I put no details whatsoever on LinkedIn. I do have my certs up to date along with any training I take so the offers come in on a weekly basis.

Oh god, I thought I was being paranoid and listed technologies I work with...icon_sad.gif I really like to use LI as a source of possible leads but not if the threat is real. Should I remove the details?
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Oh god, I thought I was being paranoid and listed technologies I work with...icon_sad.gif I really like to use LI as a source of possible leads but not if the threat is real. Should I remove the details?

I would. Take this example. If you posted on your LinkedIn account that you are are a Palo Alto administrator at your current job, a possible attacker would know that your company uses Palo Alto and could then research Palo Alto vulnerabilities and then try to exploit them against your company.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    varelg wrote: »

I've heard people have been using it as a dating site. Maybe this is phase one of turning it into a low-end shady dating site.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm fine putting up generic/broad details for my security role. E.g. "SIEM monitoring" or "Create IR policies", etc. But since I started in Infosec, I decided not to list any specific technologies I use.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have actually used it for my benefit (or tried to). If I knew I was interviewing for a role I would try to find people that worked there and see what applications they have listed so I would study up on those. Hasn't helped me yet thoughicon_rolleyes.gif