Options

Please help.

jamesthatsmeukjamesthatsmeuk Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im studing for my 70-270 and 70-290 and so i thought it would be wise to install both server 2003 + win xp (daul boot). After realising that i would need to put xp onto NTFS (playing with permissions) i formatted and deleted the partition that had 2003 on it..

The problem is everytime i start my computer it says i still have server 2003 in the BIOS..

Is there anyway to refreash the computer so it knows i dont have windows server 2003 on it?

Comments

• Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is there anyway to refreash the computer so it knows i dont have windows server 2003 on it?

Sure there is....... boot to your Windows Installation disk and go to the recovery console. Choose your Windows installation > Enter the Administrator password > at the command prompt type FIXMBR . Reboot and you should be good.
  • Options
    thank you so mujch im gonna do that now.. your a star. :D
  • Options
    at the command prompt type FIXMBR . Reboot and you should be good.

It didnt work.. icon_confused.gif
    any reason why?

I done it exactly as told but nothing.. rebooted and still said i can select the server 2003 any ideas?[/quote]
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    do it again with FIXBOOT
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    i don't understand why you felt the need to remove 2003, or what NTFS has to do with it.
    i dual boot XP and 2003 using of course NTFS, and it works perfectly fine.

but if the thing you want to get rid of is that (i don't remember what it's called) screen where it presents you with multiple OSs and you have to choose one (or wait 30 secs) then just edit the boot.ini file and remove the entry for win2k3.
    and make sure the "default" option points to your XP partition.
    witty comment
  • Options
    i thought that in order to dual boot it had to be fat 32.. at least thats what it says in my 70-270 book.

I could do it using the boot.ini file although ive been told that it is easy to break and very difficult to fix once broken.
    do it again with FIXBOOT

This didnt work again either...
  • Options
    vexvex Member Posts: 113
    Which book told you to FAT32 is needed to dual boot between Server2003 and WinXP? Possibly you misread and it said you would need FAT for lesser OS's...like WinMe,98,95.

Edit your boot.ini file and remove the 2003 boot option. Nothing difficult about this.
    Ancient Certs:
    Exam 70-064: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows® 95
    Exam 70-067: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    no it doesn't need to be fat32. that's only if you want to dual boot with OSs that don't support ntfs, but both XP and 2003 support it natively.

here i'll paste my boot.ini file and show you what to change. yours will be similar.
    boot.ini wrote:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect

so you will want to delete the line that says
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect
    and be sure that
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    points to the partition that windows xp is installed on, in my case 1.
    witty comment
  • Options
    thanks alot everyone.. i edited the boot.ini file in the end.