Options

At a career crossroad

CE1028CE1028 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm pretty new to the site, so far it seems like a really helpful site. I've mentioned this on another post, but I do not have a college education. I have a little over 15+ years in IT ranging from senior level in desktop support , server/messaging/virtualization administration and network administration. My job right now is a senior network engineer for a smaller shop but I've stopped growing, so I feel a change is needed.

I've been really into security lately, so started thinking about making the switch to the security side of things. I like hands on technical work and can see myself as a security engineer but I'm trying to stay opened minded. I don't know if anyone will share the same sentiment but another thing I'd want in a new position is no travel. I have a family now, and really want to stop traveling. This is why I'm not looking at network engineer jobs, as so many require travel. I'm also well paid, I'm currently making 100,000 USD but ideally would like to earn anywhere between 125k-130k, if possible.

I'm trying to figure out is security the way to go? Is security engineer not the right area? Or should I be maybe consider something else? Am I just dreaming at this point :D

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea that I want all these things for nothing. Yes, I don't want to travel and yes I want to earn a higher salary, but believe me, I put in the work. I work very hard (during and after hours). I'm always trying to make myself better by learning. No matter what I decide to learn, I'll give it 150%.

_CE

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's definitely possible to do that. Security engineers are in demand depending on where you are located. If you located close to a metro area you couls definitely make what you are asking.
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    It's definitely possible to do that. Security engineers are in demand depending on where you are located. If you located close to a metro area you couls definitely make what you are asking.

Thanks. salary aside, do you that's the type of role I should be pursuing, since I want to stop traveling for work, so is there a different role I should look at? I'm a technology guy, so I can learn anything, if I enjoy it haha

Any other certifications you'd recommend pursuing to assist me in getting me there?

If I have to invest in certain training, I see it being worth it
  • Options
    Also interested in others opinions
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With your networking experience and your cerificates i think you could easily pick up virtualization or AWS. Having networking knowlege also helps a lot with proper setup of firewalls. Theres I think a demand for firewall engineers. Of course you could also get into security and again your current certificates are going to get you the interviews.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CE1028 wrote: »
    My job right now is a senior network engineer for a smaller shop but I've stopped growing, so I feel a change is needed.

I've been really into security lately, so started thinking about making the switch to the security side of things.

While switching to the security side of things wouldn't be an issue, I think you might take a salary hit doing it. Not sure if a company would be willing to offer you a 100k a year for something you have no real experience in, I think some security certifications would certainly help. Have you though about getting your CISSP?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    While switching to the security side of things wouldn't be an issue, I think you might take a salary hit doing it. Not sure if a company would be willing to offer you a 100k a year for something you have no real experience in, I think some security certifications would certainly help. Have you though about getting your CISSP?

I have been looking at CISSP, CCNP Security, and CASP. I've also thought about the GCIH

I'm looking for a salary boost, not a salary cut LOL. I know exactly what you mean though. My security experience is with firewalls, switch security, server security, antivirus, but yeah maybe not enough to warrant a high salary
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CE1028 wrote: »
    My security experience is with firewalls, switch security, server security...

That's pretty good experience, I would get a good security related certification and just emphasize the security work you do on you resume and you shouldn't have trouble keeping you current salary, maybe a little more or less.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    That's pretty good experience, I would get a good security related certification and just emphasize the security work you do on you resume and you shouldn't have trouble keeping you current salary, maybe a little more or less.

That sounds like a good plan.

My other struggle is that my VCP expires in November and I don't know if I should keep it as a backup in case I have to go back down that route. I just hate that it expires every two years. Actually, I'm okay with that, but once it expires, you have to take a class and now a foundation exam before even sitting the actual VCP exam. I say this only because I've thought about learning VMware NSX as well