Options

Packet Tracer 7 on Windows XP

satishtechsatishtech Member Posts: 243
I managed to install PT 7 on windows XP
I get an UPnP error ,but seems to be working fine.
Tried running PT on Ubuntu does not work....icon_rolleyes.gif

Is it OK to run PT 7 on XP ?

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any reason you using Windows XP? It's an end of life operating system, its not supportes anymore.
  • Options
    lilmansdadlilmansdad Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You need to use the Linux version. Search youtube for instructions if you are having issues.
  • Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    As already pointed out, XP is past its sell-by-date, but if the machine is isolated from the internet, it's still a viable OS, it's just a bit of a security issue if you're connecting to the internet with it.

Have you tried running CPT under WINE on the Linux system? I've not tried it myself, but I do run CPT on a Win 7 machine and it seems to be very well behaved. I have run other, much more complex software that was designed for MS Windows, under WINE on a Mint 12 OS with no problems, so, it may be worth giving it a try.
    The only other solution I can suggest is to use a VM on your Linux system and install XP on that (something that I have done with success). Then you'll be able to run CPT on the VM running XP. That would be my option.
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I cant figure out how to put it on a OS 10 Lion.. Not much of a mac fan
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    satishtechsatishtech Member Posts: 243
    Installed in on Ubuntu 16.
    Followed the instructions on youtube.
    New 819 Routers on PT 7 more interfaces.
  • Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    I cant figure out how to put it on a OS 10 Lion.. Not much of a mac fan

A friend of mine has installed Win7 on his Mac, he followed this tutorial... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmR1gjhjiko

I've not done this myself as I don't have a Mac, but he say's it was fairly easy. He had to buy a copy of Win7, which he got for about £20 off of eBay.

It's a option, you could then run CPT.
    No longer an active member