Options

Questions regarding preparedness, format of exam, etc

2»

Comments

• Options
    mudflapsmudflaps Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So i think i am done studying completely, test at 8am. If i dont know the material by now, im not going to know it by exam time.

If i dont pass my contingency plan is to get the Cybex book, crush through that, do all questions, and get the app. I would suppose those are my only remaining sources of info that could be of any help.
  • Options
    Passed!

Initial thoughts:
    1. Test was basically thought it would be, but much less technical. I think I got one question involving AES, without divulging too much info it was a very basic question about AES.
    2. TONNNSS of questions on Cloud based scenarios, and Federated Identity. Several scenarios like this.
    3. No emphasis on encryption. My SSCP was much more detailed with encryption than this test.
    4. Lots of judgement calls were involved. Many of which were two bad answers, two good answers.
    5. No questions came from CCCure, but CCCure helped to reinforce concepts and definitely went far enough below the surface to serve as a good source.
  • Options
    ankit2455ankit2455 Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations....I am about to give the exam early next month. Which test series you feel had the questions closest to the exam...i mean the pattern.
  • Options
    trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    @mudflaps Congrats! Nice to see someone pass without Sybex. Reading the Sybex book is truly a test of will.

When you apply basic concepts like CIA, DAD, AAA, the code of ethics, and others, there's usually only one best answer.
  • Options
    End of chapter questions in the Official ISC2 CBK book, followed by CCCure. With that knowledge, I should have sprung for the ISC study app on Android/iOS. Guessing they would be super similar.
  • Options
    ankit2455ankit2455 Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fantastic! When you say ISC2 CBK, where do you find that?
  • Options
    dhay13 wrote: »
    Fantastic! When you say ISC2 CBK, where do you find that?

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-CISSP-Fourth-Press/dp/1482262754/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477094161&sr=8-1&keywords=CISSP+CBK

This book. It is not flashy, but I see no better source than to get the info straight from the horses mouth. With full disclosure, I did read the Shon Harris book, but several years back and never tested for CISSP. I would say I retained probably none of the information from that book.
  • Options
    Thanks. I have access to books24x7. i will see if that book is in there. just finished chapter 8 in Sybex but still have about 600 pages left. my test is in 3 weeks so not sure i will complete Sybex but if i do i will check out that CBK book
  • Options
    found it on books24x7. 1283 pages? no way i will get through that AND Sybex. i will try to look through it but no way i can read the whole thing. might have time to go through the domains i need help with.

pretty confident i can pass it today. the Sybex 7th edition i'm averaging about 80-85%. a co-worker took it a couple months ago and said of all his study materials the Skillsoft test was closest to the actual test. my last test on that i got 76% (went from 59% to 67% to 76%). he said he was getting about 80% on it before he took it. he also said he had hardly any questions on cryptography. he didn't say much else about it other than it was the hardest test he has taken and he has quite a few certs
  • Options
    found it on books24x7. 1283 pages? no way i will get through that AND Sybex. i will try to look through it but no way i can read the whole thing. might have time to go through the domains i need help with.

pretty confident i can pass it today. the Sybex 7th edition i'm averaging about 80-85%. a co-worker took it a couple months ago and said of all his study materials the Skillsoft test was closest to the actual test. my last test on that i got 76% (went from 59% to 67% to 76%). he said he was getting about 80% on it before he took it. he also said he had hardly any questions on cryptography. he didn't say much else about it other than it was the hardest test he has taken and he has quite a few certs

I don't blame you, its a long read. The technical questions are so surface level it's not even funny. It's always been said that you get hammered on the Comm/Net security chapter with OSI layer questions, different technologies, etc. I got only questions that scratched the surface. Here I was studying WAN technologies, routing protocols, how connections are negotiated, etc. I got no questions on WAN.

The difficult part again are the questions involving scenarios, and judgement calls. Stick to the ISC2 principals and that will be your guiding force on those.
  • Options
    Deadly-DosageDeadly-Dosage Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your hard worked paid off! Looks like the SSCP before CISSP was one of the keys to your victory. Enjoy your success mudflaps!
    mudflaps wrote: »
    Passed!

Initial thoughts:
    1. Test was basically thought it would be, but much less technical. I think I got one question involving AES, without divulging too much info it was a very basic question about AES.
    2. TONNNSS of questions on Cloud based scenarios, and Federated Identity. Several scenarios like this.
    3. No emphasis on encryption. My SSCP was much more detailed with encryption than this test.
    4. Lots of judgement calls were involved. Many of which were two bad answers, two good answers.
    5. No questions came from CCCure, but CCCure helped to reinforce concepts and definitely went far enough below the surface to serve as a good source.
  • Options
    kanedogkanedog Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations mudflaps! Planning to take the test in November...I'm getting between 75% - 85% when I'm on CCCure and was really curious where that put me in relation to scoring for the test (if that makes sense) and it sounds like I'm close to being ready but need a couple more weeks
  • Options
    kanedog wrote: »
    Congratulations mudflaps! Planning to take the test in November...I'm getting between 75% - 85% when I'm on CCCure and was really curious where that put me in relation to scoring for the test (if that makes sense) and it sounds like I'm close to being ready but need a couple more weeks

Id say you are dead on. A few wks out is perfect for your current scores.
  • Options
    Today I received the word from ISC2 that I could begin using the CISSP designation, as I am an official member.

10/21 -12/1 was my waiting period from pass, to ISC2 declaring me a CISSP member.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Gratz on the pass and your official CISSP designation, mudflaps! I submitted my endorsement application a few days after you. Given your timeline, I may hear back as soon as this coming Monday (assuming ISC2 doesn't work weekends). icon_cool.gif
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    Awesome!

Looks like I am about 20 days behind you (11/10) so I 'should' be around 12/21 or so which would be just about 6 weeks

Edit: Actually I submitted my endorsement package 11/14 so 12/25 :rollicon_confused.gif Likely between X-Mas and New Years but wouldn't be surprised if it isn't until early January with the holidays.
  • Options
    chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    were there alot of double negative questions?
  • Options
    Off the top of my head I can't say there were but not certain on that.
  • Options
    kabooterkabooter Member Posts: 115
    mudflaps wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-CISSP-Fourth-Press/dp/1482262754/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477094161&sr=8-1&keywords=CISSP+CBK

This book. It is not flashy, but I see no better source than to get the info straight from the horses mouth. With full disclosure, I did read the Shon Harris book, but several years back and never tested for CISSP. I would say I retained probably none of the information from that book.
    I am reading it and the first chapter has started depressing me.....it just goes on and on. I think there is just too much fluff in it. Example the pages and pages of info privacy laws and acts in EU. Sure one needs to know about them but not for exam, at least that's what I think.
  • Options
    If I had to give a short list for definite study materials they would be the Sybex 7th Ed. and cybrary.it, Anything else is a bonus but I would make sure those two were on the list. If you have the required experience I think most can pass with just those two.
  • Options
    If I had to give a short list for definite study materials they would be the Sybex 7th Ed. and cybrary.it, Anything else is a bonus but I would make sure those two were on the list. If you have the required experience I think most can pass with just those two.
    I definitely liked Sybex and Shon Harris guides more than this official one which I think is way over bloated.
  • Options
    Mud flaps or anyone else
    There is a mention of lots of questions about cloud security in this thread.
    Can you tell me where can I read about loud security in any of books mentioned - Sybex or official Cbk or 11th HOUR?
  • Options
    I didn't get too deep into cloud security when I was studying but cybrary has a course on CCSP that might be helpful.

https://www.cybrary.it/course/isc2-certified-cloud-security-professional-ccsp/
  • Options
    kabooter wrote: »
    Mud flaps or anyone else
    There is a mention of lots of questions about cloud security in this thread.
    Can you tell me where can I read about loud security in any of books mentioned - Sybex or official Cbk or 11th HOUR?

I found my test to be laden with cloud security questions, revolving around federated identity, different cloud service offerings (SaaS, PaaS, etc). Most of my knowledge on this came from the CBK book. I am guessing some of the questions were the 25 beta questions, but some were legitimate.