Options

Getting ready for Training Camp

TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
My employer has decided that they want me to pursue my CISSP (I had expressed interest previously) but it needs to be done this year for budgetary reasons. So they are sending me to Training Camp in a few weeks. I am cramming on the Training Camp videos and flash cards now. I have the official study guide, are there any other recommendations that I should also look at to give myself the best chance at succeeding? Specific study guides and the such? I have access to Safari books and videos so I should be able to access most things.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
B.S: IT - Network Design & Management

Comments

• Options
    KalabasterKalabaster Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cybrary and practice tests to prep you for that boot camp and you should be fine
    Certifications: A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Linux+/LPIC-1/SUSE CLA, C|EH, eWPT, GMON, GWAPT, GCIH, eCPPT, GPEN, GXPN, OSCP, CISSP.
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: C178, C255, C100, C132, C164, C173, C172, C480, C455, ORA1, C182, C168, C394, C393, C451, C698, C697, C176, C456, C483, C170, C175, C169, C299, C246, C247, C376, C179, C278, C459, C463, C435, C436.
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cybrabry.it (kelly handerhan) and if you can get access try FedVTE
  • Options
    slim27jointslim27joint Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I went to a Training Camp CISSP boot camp prior to passing the CISSP exam. It was pretty decent, I used the instructor as an audio tape, while I did CCCure questions. When she brought up a few things I wasn't too experienced with, I stopped and paid more attention, especially in Domain 8.

As far as the their videos goes, I watch Domain 1 and then stopped and switched over to Cybrary.it simply because it was much easier to pay attention to and it was concise and straight to the point. Make sure you fully watch this before attending the course!

Cybrary.it and CCCure were key for me passing the exam, but Training Camp did provide some questions of their own that were much more challenging than the exam itself, so it does provide another resource to help understand the concepts of the material being tested. They will provide you with an ISC2 Book, Training Camp Q&A book, and flash cards.

You will have the option to take the exam right after the course, which is what I did. If you elect not to, they will provide you with a voucher code to take it on your own. It's going to be a long week when you attend, so be sure that you do some additional studying after the class is over each day, along with getting some good amount of sleep.

Good luck!
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks guys, I'll check out Cybrary.it. I plan on taking the test right after the course is done, I'll be staying in the hotel that the training is being held at and it looks like after class study groups are already being planned so that should help too.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    Try the Eric Conrad (CISSP Study Guide) 3rd edition book. It's more readable and much more compact than the Sybex book.

I've been to Training Camp's C|EH boot camp and another vendor's boot camp for CASP. It helped me to read at least one prep book before going.

It's best to test at the end of the week. The material's still relatively fresh and it can be less stressful to be surrounded by classmates during the test.

Think of a nice, small reward for yourself after you pass. My reward for finishing (and passing) CISSP last Friday was lunch at a restaurant that closed at 2 p.m. Started the exam at 8 a.m., so had to wrap up the test in less than 6 hours. I used about 3 hours for the exam.

Good luck!