Options

Study material to CCNA Security?

nickelitonickelito Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

I'm thinking of taking this cert but I've heard terrible things about the OCG and I'm not really sure what other sources for material is available.
Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The two most effective study materials that worked for me (aside from labbing, of course), were CBTNuggets and the Boson practice exam. I found Keith Barker's evaluation of the exam, as well as his Parka Document, to be very accurate. In his CCNA Security videos, he does reference his previous course for 640-554, as well as a LOT of CCNP videos from different areas. Altogether it equals roughly 70 videos, and take quite a while to watch. I must have spent about 6 months studying, and relied on the Boson practice exams exclusively for the last 2 weeks of my studying. I got a fairly decent score, even though the first lab sim on the exam didn't work at all, and I had to take a zero on that group of questions. I've done a little research, and the issues with lab sims are getting better.

Best of luck with studying!

Note: I did buy the OCG, the official lab book, the "31 Days Before Your CCNA Security Exam," and "CCNA Security Portable Command Guide," but the two resources I mentioned earlier, along with GNS3 and Packet Tracer allow me to practice almost every objective on the exam. Also, pay special attention to FirePOWER on the ASA, and the WSA/ESA products. Keith's Parka Document and the Boson practice exam cover what you need to know.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recently took the exam and what PCTechLinc said above is exactly my suggestion. CBT Nuggets including the Parka Document and other items in the Nuggets Lab files were my primary source. I too used Boson practice tests and the explanations were very good. Also, the sims in the Boson tests were very good practice.
  • Options
    nickelitonickelito Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It looks like the Parka document is for the old exam. Is it still viable for the updated one?
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There is a Parka document that reflects the 210-260 exam. The one you're looking at could be for the 640-554. The items that would not be reflected in the old exam would be the FirePOWER, ESA and WSA products.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    CE1028CE1028 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keith's courses are always good, but the way he has you going from one course to another is annoying.

INE has a great CCNA Security product for $79. That's what I used as my main resource, but I also used CBT Nugs