Options

A bunch of Cisco stuff from work.

GmvProjectGmvProject Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm starting my journey to get my ICND1 and I'm in the process of planning on building my own lab.

We got some Cisco equipment at work that are not currently being utilized; I don't know if they have any value for I don't have any idea what they are icon_redface.gif I'm a total noob when it comes to networking and I'm hoping you guys can help me if I can use these guys for my CCENT lab.

My original plan was to save up and get 2x 2600 series routers and 2 3350 switches from ebay, but it would be awesome if I can use/integrate these guys for my lab too.

If I'm not mistaken I have a router and 2 switches + an ASA.

Cisco ASA 5505
Cisco 3725
Catalyst 3500 series XL
Catalyst 3750-E series

Are these guys okay to use for my lab? Any tips on how to best approach my current situation? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like home labs because I like the hands on experience. However they are not required to get started.

If your company lets you take them home then plug them in and start poking around. You can find free labs online pretty easy to get started.

After you have started to learn you will get a better idea of what to add.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the 3725 can be thought of as a 2600 with more expandability. So, that will work for one of your routers.
    3500 is just crap. Get rid of it.
    The 3750-E is a big upgrade over the 3550. Shouldn't be in a lab as it is too good for that. Be happy you get to use it.
    the asa is a good find also. will be useful when doing security stuff as it is a firewall.

You have a start for you lab. Keep an eye out for more.
    And good luck with your studies
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like clarson said the 3750-E and the ASA are great, definitely use them. You won't need the ASA for R&S but if you pursue CCNA Security it will be nice.
  • Options
    Awesome!!! Thank guys! I'm pretty excited! I'm just hoping that they all work properly.

Cheers!
  • Options
    Soo, I found a couple more stuff that I might be able to use:

ASA 5510
    Cisco 1800
    Cisco 7100
    Cisco 2800
    Catalyst 3560

I'm thinking of borrowing the 7100 and 3725 as my routers, and then the 3560 and the 3750 as my switches; what do you guys think?
    I spoke to my manager and he's okay with it, I'm just hoping the local network guy gives me a thumbs up.
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you started studying yet? If you haven't the hardware is already holding you back. Fire up packet tracer and get into the books ASAP!
  • Options
    Thank you and yes (:! I started watching ICND1 v3 videos on CBT nuggets, and I also started reading Odem's ICND1 100-105.
    Going to get into subnetting more, and the goal is to be able to setup my lab over the weekend.
    I have packet tracer on my machine now and I'm going to be doing some tutorials in a lil bit.
    My quest to get actual hardware is on the side, and I don't believe it's hindering me with my studies at all.

Cheers :D