CASP Failed 10-12-16

dabooladaboola Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Took the CASP exam this morning, there were 80 questions and 8 Performance based mostly drag and drop. I been studying for 2 months using Cybrary, Udemy, Fed-Vte, Skillport, and I read the Official CASP study book. I am so mentally drained right now. I will reattack the test in 2-3 weeks any informative advice would be great. I am really pissed right now.icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Comments

• EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dang, sorry to hear that. If I were you, I'd probably look deep into the what the answers to the simulations are that you had. If you can ace those the next time around (if you get them again), then the multiple choice won't be as necessary to get right. And if you remember anything from the multiple choice that you struggled with, focus on those concepts too. Good luck in your second attempt!
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    daboola wrote: »
    Took the CASP exam this morning, there were 80 questions and 8 Performance based mostly drag and drop. I been studying for 2 months using Cybrary, Udemy, Fed-Vte, Skillport, and I read the Official CASP study book. I am so mentally drained right now. I will reattack the test in 2-3 weeks any informative advice would be great. I am really pissed right now.icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Dude, this is hard test. Many folks here take it more than once. It's compounded by the fact that there aren't any good practice exams for it. Keep at it. Focus on what the results say you need to work on and go over those chapters of the book with those questions in mind. You will get it.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    daboola wrote: »

2 months?? That's it? I would have studied at a minimum of 6 months up to a year...Keep at it dooder, study over & over until you know everything left, right, up, down, etc...best of luck on your next exam! Cheers!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How long have you been in the field?

Doesn't CASP have a minimum limit of a couple of years experience before they recognize/allow you to take the exam??
  • trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    @SpetsRepair No, CompTIA does not require a set number of years experience for CASP. There's a recommendation of "10 years experience in IT administration, including at least 5 years of hands-on technical security experience." https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/comptia-advanced-security-practitioner

You can have more than the recommended amount of experience and still fail. Certification exams demonstrate your ability to pass an exam. That's it.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @SpetsRepair No, CompTIA does not require a set number of years experience for CASP. There's a recommendation of "10 years experience in IT administration, including at least 5 years of hands-on technical security experience." https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/comptia-advanced-security-practitioner

You can have more than the recommended amount of experience and still fail. Certification exams demonstrate your ability to pass an exam. That's it.

I see you have both CASP & Sec+...did CASP seem that much more difficult than Sec+ to you?? I was taking a CASP assessment exam on one of CompTIA's CASP 2nd edition books and it seemed very similar to me after passing the Sec+ exam. I am sure they go into more detail, but was just curious.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    shochan wrote: »
    I see you have both CASP & Sec+...did CASP seem that much more difficult than Sec+ to you?? I was taking a CASP assessment exam on one of CompTIA's CASP 2nd edition books and it seemed very similar to me after passing the Sec+ exam. I am sure they go into more detail, but was just curious.
    It's not even close. Sec+ you need to know definitions, and maybe apply a concept here and there, to pass the test. CASP, you need to know the definitions in order to somewhat understand the question, and also be able to apply two or three concepts over the top of each other to get that one answer right. Then you need to be able to do it again, eighty times over.
  • trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    @shochan Yes, CASP was harder than Sec+. There are domains (identity management & everything risk-focused) in CASP that don't merit much notice in Sec+. CASP seemed more enterprise related than Sec+. My first Sec+ question was very, very client related. Sec+ seemed like an information security version of A+. I sat Sec+ back in 2014 (301) about 4 months after C|EH. I sat CASP in July 2016.
  • dabooladaboola Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have over 7 years of IT experience from working in an Network Control Center to Information Assurance. The test is heavy on definitions and how you apply them. My 2 months of studying consisted of 4-6 hours a day. My goal is to pass CASP and test for CISM in December. I am scheduled to test at the end of the month so I will harden what I have learned and separate my personal experience and stick to the book answer.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that. Good luck for next time!
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i studied 3 months pretty hardcore 4-6 hours on weekdays and 10 hours on weekends, you need to know your topics well on a broad range of subjects you should of read the book at least 3 times, the Transcendor Exams (3) i took via ITproTV helped since it gave you a very detailed answer on why it was the correct answer.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    CASP beat me, I failed on my first attempt and I have never tried again
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Z0sickx wrote: »
    the Transcendor Exams (3) i took via ITproTV helped since it gave you a very detailed answer on why it was the correct answer.

This is reassuring.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!