Options

PJ's WGU Progress Thread - MSCSIA (start date August 2016)

13»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There is overlap between the MSCSIA and MSITM. The MBA will not have any overlap because it's from the business school, whereas the MSITM and MSCSIA are part of the IT school.

If you are trying to double up on classes for another MS degree, the MBA does share courses with the MS in Management and Leadership.

Another option if you want to specialize in cybersecurity, is to pair your MBA with certs.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is overlap between the MSCSIA and MSITM. The MBA will not have any overlap because it's from the business school, whereas the MSITM and MSCSIA are part of the IT school.

If you are trying to double up on classes for another MS degree, the MBA does share courses with the MS in Management and Leadership.

Another option if you want to specialize in cybersecurity, is to pair your MBA with certs.

That was my original intention but I just want to weigh my options. Thanks for your well informed response
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    FXT2 Disaster Recovery Planning, Prevention and Response is now complete. Took longer than it should have, I simply dragged my feet.

Currently in VLT2 Security Policies and Standards - Best Practices, and wow. This is class is laid out in the most confusing manner possible. I really hope this goes well. Task 1 has already got me scratching my head because it is so contradictory in its requirements and examples. icon_rolleyes.gif

Wish me luck.

Pending:
    Security Policies and Standards—Best Practices
    Capstone

Complete:
    Disaster Recovery Planning, Prevention, and Response
    Secure Network Design
    Secure Software Design
    Cyberlaw, Regulations, and Compliance
    Risk Management
    Cyberwarfare
    Ethical Hacking
    Forensics and Network Intrusion
  • Options
    VLT2 Security Policies and Standards is DONE!!! It was not too bad after I passed the first task. Task 1 was kicked back because they felt that one of the threats I listed was a vulnerability. Fixed it by replacing it with a threat from the book, and got a pass. I had no problems with tasks 2, 3, or 4.

The tasks were relatively straightforward, and I used my standard WGU strategy of naming the headings in my paper from the rubric. VLT2 ended up taking just under 2 weeks to complete.

I'm currently working on the prospectus, which seems like it will go smoothly. I think I can be done with this degree by the beginning of next month, as long as I get enough time to work on it.

icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and great work PJ!

This is inspiring for me, I will be starting my BS:IT-Sec with WGU later this year. For someone who does not have any transfer credits, how quickly can this degree be completed if it's pursued aggressively?
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    Hey, thanks!!!!

I also did the BSIT Network Admin through WGU and I think I did about 40 competency units in about four months to finish up that degree. I had a lot of certs and some prior college that helped out. I still had to take some scripting classes, db, HTML, physics, natural sciences, statistics, etc.

It really just depends on you. If your certs are valid and earned within the past five years you can get credit for them, as well. That helps a LOT. In my BS I got credit for already having: MCSA, A+, Net+, Sec+, Proj+, and MTA. In my MS I received credit for having CEH and CHFI. The best part of WGU besides the affordability is that you can accelerate your classes, so if you already know something, you can prove it and move on.

Some classes took me a few days, because I already knew the stuff. Some classes took me a month because I had more learning I needed to do in order to pass.

You aren't going to show up to a classroom every other day; your world becomes your classroom, so you have to hold yourself accountable to maintain progress. I literally wrote papers on my iPad while taking lunch breaks, during halftime at my kid's basketball games, in waiting rooms, etc. Dropbox + Word for iOS has been a huge help! What got me through WGU was being able to motivate myself and dedicating enough time to learn the material and complete my projects.

Also, just because some people seem to work through WGU at a rapid pace does not mean that it is easy. I can say that it has been a challenge, and I have enhanced my knowledge through this process.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Capstone Prospectus has been approved! Currently breaking it down and shaping it into the Capstone Written Report. I've been writing for days! I'm going to be so glad when this is done.

Pending:
    Capstone Written Report
    Multimedia Presentation
    Oral Defense

Complete:
    Capstone Prospectus
    Secure Network Design
    Secure Software Design
    Risk Management
    Cyberwarfare
    Ethical Hacking
  • Options
    Capstone Written Report has been accepted. I went ahead and finished the multimedia presentation, so now I'm just waiting for a course mentor to contact me about scheduling the oral defense.

Pending:
    Oral Defense

Complete:
    Multimedia Presentation
    Capstone Written Report
    Capstone Prospectus
    Secure Network Design
    Secure Software Design
    Risk Management
    Cyberwarfare
    Ethical Hacking
  • Options
    BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You killed it! Knocked out the whole program in 9 months? This was all while working FT?
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great progress! Thank you for the updates.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great job! I am working on Secure Software Design right now.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! It has been a great experience.

@Blucodex, yeah I've been working full time. To be fair, I went into the program with CEH and CHFI already so I did not have to take those classes. That would have added probably another two or three months of studying.

Hopefully I can defend my capstone tomorrow and be done with school. For now.
  • Options
    So, it's official. I graduated! Diploma is in the mail.

It's Saturday morning, and I do not know what to do with myself. I'd normally be writing but I don't have any papers to work on. icon_neutral.gif

I would like to sincerely thank cyberguypr and NetworkNewb. About six months ago, I posted to a thread and mentioned my $20 Wal-Mart chair in passing. The two of them got together and bought me an actual legit office chair. I can't explain how much it has helped me during this process. The TE community is really a great place.

I'd also like to thank everyone who has ever posted a WGU thread about their progress. These threads were really helpful and inspiring to read.

Hopefully this thread will help someone else who isn't sure if they can complete their bachelor's or master's degree while working full time and parenting a house full of kids. It's definitely possible!
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dude; congrats. I'm still struggling through VLT (with FXT on the horizon as well), but seeing others able to make it through gives me just enough to not give up.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great Job! I am starting to work on my prospectus now. Just curious how many pages did you end up writing?
    2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+
  • Options
    I wrote about 60 for the written report. Check out the capstone archive to get ideas about structure.

It seems to be about a 1:3 prospectus:report ratio as far as page count goes. Like most of the WGU assignments, page count doesn't really matter as much as the content does. And as always, double check your content with the rubric. The templates are cool, but make sure you satisfy the rubric.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats PJ_Sneakers
    I hope to join you and the rest of the grads soon!
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)