Options

70-417 book advice

smackie1973smackie1973 Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
I obtained the 2008 MCSA a couple of years ago and I'm finally looking to start studying for the 70-417 upgrade exam.

What is the best book to start with?

Ive looked at the Microsoft exam ref book (£20 on Amazon uk) and the sybex complete study guide https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Server-Complete-Study-Guide/dp/111885991X (£38 on Amazon uk but comes with some practice exams)

Ideally I'd like some decent practice questions but don't really want to spend nearly £40 if the book and questions aren't up to much.

Comments

• Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used that book and it was alright but lacking in several areas. It seemed to breeze over some topics that Microsoft put a lot of focus on with the objectives on the exams.

Regardless, it wasn't a horrible book. However, any book is going to be lacking at least a little. You cannot pass with just a single book alone in most cases and it will require labbing and technets to fully grasp the 2012 content.

If I have to recommend a book, I would recommend the MOAC books. They are more expensive and the actual answer key is inaccessible for the questions but they are good books and cover the material better in my opinion.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT