Options

Simon's CCIE Journey, It Begins!

SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
Hi all,

Today is the day I finally purchased the all access pass at INE as they had two years for the price of one - absolute bargain! As a result, I have decided to start studying the CCIE:Routing and Switching track. The aim is to keep this post updated as much as possible over the next year or so.Although this link is only for v5 and I will be taking v5.1, I will be following a similar study method, learning the basic technologies before progressing on wards to the more complex topics.

http://blog.ine.com/2014/04/17/ines-ccie-rsv5-expanded-blueprint/

Study Resources
Safari Books - As per Brian from INE's recommendations, I will pick and choose information from the below books:

Vendor Independent First
• Interconnections: Bridges & Routers, Second Edition
• Internetworking with TCP/IP, Volume I
• TCP/IP Illustrated: Volume 1
• Routing and Switching: Time of Convergence?
• IPv6 Theory, Protocol, and Practice
• MPLS Enabled Applications

Vendor Specific Second
• Cisco LAN Switching
• Routing TCP/IP Volumes I & 2
• Internet Routing Architectures
• Cisco IP Routing: Packet Forwarding and Intra-domain Routing Protocols
• MPLS Fundamentals• Developing IP Multicast Networks
• Implementing Cisco IPv6 Networks
• End-to-End QoS Network Design

As I work through he learning objectives, I will watch INE course content to reinforce my knowledge. INE rack rentals will be my primary labbing tool, however I may invest in a server to run VIRL/Unetlabs/ESXi in the future.If anyone would like to share experiences on the CCIE track or would like to give me some tips, all suggestions and tips are very much appreciated.Simon
Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey Simon,

Congrats on getting started! Keep Narbik's new Bridging the Gap book on your radar. I think it will really help transition you into CCIE studies.
  • Options
    So far, I have been putting my study resources together in a spreadsheet, trying to work out what resource is best and for what.

I managed to do about 2 hours of reading today which seemed to be quite wasteful. The CCIE official certification guide is pants, but I thought it may be the only thing which has good layer 2 coverage.

Covered Today:

Reading theory on standard VLANs, extended VLANs, VLAN database and Ethernet fundamentals.

Studying Next:

I will be studying using the Cisco LAN switching to cover the 1.1 topics as it seems to be great. Once 1.1 has been completed, I will be watching INE's videos to complement and then start working through the INE workbook for the relevant topics. I will put together a blog post as soon as I feel confident with the 1.1 topics.

sriddle.co.uk
  • Options
    I managed to get in 4 - 5 hours of study today, despite having 4 hours of overtime to do for work. I really need to get a server set up so I can start labbing. I have put together this spreadsheet of study resources and will be working my way through it for the entire CCIE process - I will be adding bits and pieces to it as I go along: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ePoxKmLKcreMLkZ45tVUSMMfj22vRvzSxifp3A7iqbQ/edit?usp=sharing

Covered Today:

I looked different study at resources and documentation for standard VLANs, extended VLANs, access ports, VLAN database and Dot1Q. I have been working towards the VTP section too.

I'm quite confident with a lot of topics so far as it seems that it's just a recap of the CCNP switching exam, just in a tiny bit more depth. I am expecting things to get a lot harder as I have forgotten a lot of STP and the layer 3 topics will be tricky too.

Studying Next:

I will be looking back over VTP, reading through documentation and reading through Cisco LAN switching. I am looking to get a lab set up to start labbing the topics covered so far.

Once I have caught up in the INE workbook I will be heading straight on to Etherchannel.

sriddle.co.uk
  • Options
    Hey Simon,

Check this page out INE GNS3 updated version 5 – RouterGods. It has the initial configs already preloaded in gns3 files. Could save you some time until you get VIRL going.

I need to double check INE for R&S but for SP I know for a fact they already have VIRL topologies set up with initial configs preloaded.

Another thing you can do is fire up notepad and practice the configs that way till you get your lab set up. You won't be able to practice verification this way obviously but it's still better than nothing to get some muscle memory going.

VTP is really boring stuff. Probably will never see it in production but you still need to know it for the exam. I couldn't wait to get through that section. So glad that Frame Relay is off the v5 blueprint btw.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    Another thing you can do is fire up notepad and practice the configs that way till you get your lab set up. You won't be able to practice verification this way obviously but it's still better than nothing to get some muscle memory going.

VTP is really boring stuff. Probably will never see it in production but you still need to know it for the exam. I couldn't wait to get through that section. So glad that Frame Relay is off the v5 blueprint btw.

The notepad idea is great, I didn't think of that. It will at least allow me thinking about the configuration and becoming familuar with the CLI for new principles further down the line.

I couldn't agree more about frame relay. If frame relay was still in the blueprint I probably would have thought twice at attempting this exam.

EANx wrote: »

Thanks EANx, i'll be sure to check them out - They'll come in handy!

sriddle.co.uk
  • Options
    I don't remember who I got the notepad idea from. IIRC it was from a guy who used to work for INE called Petr Lapukhov. His strategy was to type out all configs in notepad without using ? for help. I think he would do this numerous times to practice speed.
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Hi Simon,

Have you managed to convince your company to sponsor you on your CCIE journey (eg: Pay for books, INE videos etc?

I will follow your thread closely. I have ordered TCP/IP Vol1 and 2 - so think I will create a blog shortly and follow you on the same path.

Good luck :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
    I'm quite disappointed with the INE CCIE Tech series by Rob Riker. It almost feels like he is learning the topics as he is teaching them, which don't get me wrong it a great way too learn but INE really shouldn't be charging people for that. Luckily I have the AAP so it didn't cost a penny.

It's been difficult to get a lot of studying in as I have been doing a shed load of overtime at work, I am hoping it will calm down a bit in the coming weeks so I can focus back on studying again. Anyway, moving swiftly on!

Covered Today:

I took a glance into etherchannel at both the layer 2 and layer 3 level. I need to do a bit more digging into all topics, especially the protocol limiting feature.

Studying Next:

I'm not going to study any additional topics, until I have a lab set up as I need to be able to read and lab - they go hand in hand after all. I need to find some more books for etherchannels as all I can find is the CCIE official certification guide, which I am trying to avoid.

sriddle.co.uk
  • Options
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    Hi Simon,

Have you managed to convince your company to sponsor you on your CCIE journey (eg: Pay for books, INE videos etc?

I will follow your thread closely. I have ordered TCP/IP Vol1 and 2 - so think I will create a blog shortly and follow you on the same path.

Good luck :)

To be honest, so far I haven't actually asked for any support from work for my studies. Work have been pretty good in the past, but I know CCIE is going to be quite expensive so I expect to take some of that cost on my self.

Best of luck with your studies.

sriddle.co.uk
  • Options
    Simrid wrote: »
    I need to find some more books for etherchannels as all I can find is the CCIE official certification guide, which I am trying to avoid.

Sounds funny but I honestly think the SWITCH FLG is the best switch book out there at the moment. Close 2nd would be the SWITCH OCG. You can also take a look at : https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-CCNP-SWITCH-Simplified-1/dp/0955781566/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477518151&sr=8-1&keywords=ccnp+switch+simplified The Kindle edition is only 10 bucks!
  • Options
    Sounds funny but I honestly think the SWITCH FLG is the best switch book out there at the moment. Close 2nd would be the SWITCH OCG. You can also take a look at : https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-CCNP-SWITCH-Simplified-1/dp/0955781566/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477518151&sr=8-1&keywords=ccnp+switch+simplified The Kindle edition is only 10 bucks!

I second this actually, the simplified series are excellent! I used these for my CCNP Route + Switch and at the time thought that the topics in the book went above and beyond CCNP!
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the suggestions on books, i'm going to check it out - One issue is that the Switch Simplified book, I can't find on safari books but oh well.

I haven't managed to do too much studying these last few days due to overtime at work and trying to get my VIRL lab set up. However, after a few hours of troubleshooting and scratching my head, I now have VIRL running on my home PC. I had issues where the network adapter wasn't being installed due to my anti virus.....What a pain.

Covered Today:

Today I worked my way through the INE workbook to try and catch up to where I am. I'm just going through VTP now and I will be making a start on Etherchannel tomorrow.

sriddle.co.uk
  • Options
    VIRL is a fantastic product, glad you got it up and running. And yeah it can be a painful install. How much memory do you have dedicated to VIRL?
  • Options
    Sounds like you are making great progress Simon.

One thing I thought of, I can't see the official cert guides in your reading list.. is this something you are avoiding? I was debating whether to add this to my reading collection.
  • Options
    Sounds like you are making great progress Simon.

One thing I thought of, I can't see the official cert guides in your reading list.. is this something you are avoiding? I was debating whether to add this to my reading collection.

Thanks! I have read a few chapters of the official certficiation guide as I don't like how compressed it is. To me, the topics in the CCIE blueprint shouldn't be compressed into a few hundred pages and in other books are covered in a lot more depth.
    VIRL is a fantastic product, glad you got it up and running. And yeah it can be a painful install. How much memory do you have dedicated to VIRL?

I have 10GB dedicated to it on my home machine at the moment, but I am tempted to purchase another 16GB when I get onto the layer 3 labs.

sriddle.co.uk
  • Options
    Yes, I see what you mean. I did have a read several months ago (a colleague had a copy of Volume 1) and I wasn't that impressed.

I've nearly finished Routing TCP/IP vol 1, I need to definitely start taking notes next time around. Considering buying the INE CCIE Written series by Brian McGahan aswell, they are $299 (about £250) so hoping there will be a deal on soon where I can pick these up cheaper..
  • Options
    @bharvey92 - I would recommend the CCIE Written course, so far I am very impressed and would recommend it. I am finding that it isn't as in-depth as reading books but really - What video course is? It's great to give you an introduction to a subject which allows to to understand and learn more when you are reading those tricky text books.

I have started reading "Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks" and I am very impressed. It has raised a few questions regarding etherchannel that I need to find out which is good.

I am hoping to fill in the those questions tonight and maybe make a start at spanning-tree today which should be fun. I previously hated spanning tree as I find it so boring. However, since working the industry I have come to realise quite how important it is in our networks and how important it is that I have a deep understanding on it.

sriddle.co.uk
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up! I agree in regards to depth of videos, I use them mainly to explain things a bit easier - I've found in the past that watching INE/CBT Nugget videos they explain and then do some kind of demo and that is the best way I learn the technology..just trying to convince work to purchase :)

Sounds like your ploughing along well, I've ordered LAN Switching CCIE Book from Amazon, expecting that to be delivered soon - I would maybe recommend that? I'll let you know what its like when reading!
  • Options
    The strategy I use with videos is watch them only when I cannot read or lab anymore. There comes a time when you just start "reading words" or stop learning from labbing, that is a great time to switch to videos.
  • Options
    I've been hitting spanning tree over the last day or two and I am quite enjoying it. There's plenty of great resources on both Safari Books and some VOD's here and there.

I covered port costing, path selection, basic STP and port priority calculation. I'll be keep prodding away at it and labbing away as it's a crucial subject - I am in no rush to get it completed, I just want to learn it well.

I want to get wireshark up and running so I can do some packet captures and understand packet structure a little better.

Not many exciting updates I am afraid, but I am learning/recapping a lot.

sriddle.co.uk
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□

Are you going to be able to slog-through from beginning to end easily, or will you do better with occasional validation that you're moving forward? The reason I ask is because with something long-term like this, I know I do better when I have external validation of improvement, like passing an exam. Was wondering what you had planned to use, if anything.
  • Options
    I've been hitting spanning tree over the last day or two and I am quite enjoying it. There's plenty of great resources on both Safari Books and some VOD's here and there.

I covered port costing, path selection, basic STP and port priority calculation. I'll be keep prodding away at it and labbing away as it's a crucial subject - I am in no rush to get it completed, I just want to learn it well.

I want to get wireshark up and running so I can do some packet captures and understand packet structure a little better.

Yeah Spanning-Tree is crucial to have nailed down! How are you labbing this, rack rentals?

How are you planning on retaining vital information? Are you taking notes whilst going through books and videos?
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    Are you going to be able to slog-through from beginning to end easily, or will you do better with occasional validation that you're moving forward? The reason I ask is because with something long-term like this, I know I do better when I have external validation of improvement, like passing an exam. Was wondering what you had planned to use, if anything.

This is a valid point, it would be good to create some flash cards for all the topics covered so far.
    Yeah Spanning-Tree is crucial to have nailed down! How are you labbing this, rack rentals?

How are you planning on retaining vital information? Are you taking notes whilst going through books and videos?

At current, I take notes whilst watching the videos thoroughly and then when reading, I add in the tiny bits of important information even the video missed out or I didn't make note of. My plan then is to review the notes once I have finished layer 2 and I will continue to review them every few weeks to keep everything fresh in my mind.

sriddle.co.uk
  • Options
    My current company kindly bought the CCIE Route & Switch Written bundle today... been thinking about it for a while and the major discount on it in their flash sale has done it!

Just a heads up guys, there is tons in the download and its $300/£200'ish cheaper than normal! Better spend the weekend planning my attack now..

CCIE Routing & Switching Bundles - INE
  • Options
    Awesome, i'm sure you'll be pretty happy with the quality of the videos (I know I am so far). Brian is a great teacher.

Keep us posted on your progress.

sriddle.co.uk
  • Options
    I've been studying nothing but STP for the last week and it's been a nice refresher. I'm still quite impressed with VIRL but I did hit a bottleneck on it earlier where I couldn't lab L3 etherchannel.

I have been making process through my spreadsheet including labbing and covering material. As far as the INE workbook goes, it is good although sometimes i've achieved the same result but via a different method (I guess INE workbook works off best practice so I should be following that closely).

I have found some cool packet captures from Packetlife, which I am going to go through (see the packet captures column on my spreadsheet) to gain a deeper understanding of the protocols. I have also uploaded all of my notes so far to Google Drive, if anyone would like to view my CCIE folder, please see below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B36jt2iOsTj_LUJvcm1YNkJPYTg

What I have worked on:

I have covered all forms of spanning tree, including MST. I have read quite a lot of documentation from the Cisco website and I have began labbing spanning-tree also.

I have began labbing some STP material so in terms of next steps, I am going to finish these STP labs and move onto the "Miscellaneous" section of the blueprint.

What I need to revisit:

-
    Inter vs Intra area MST.
    - General STP reading.
    - Etherchannel Protocol Limiting.

sriddle.co.uk
  • Options
    Awesome, i'm sure you'll be pretty happy with the quality of the videos (I know I am so far). Brian is a great teacher.

Keep us posted on your progress.

I agree,the videos are very good and well worth the money. Been hitting RIP/RIPv2 this weekend, hit them chapters whilst reading Routing TCP/IP so thought I would hit the videos and lab at the same time!

Sounds like your hammering STP! It may take a while but sounds like you are taking time properly understanding it - which I'm sure will pay dividends in the long term!
  • Options
    I've been slacking over the weekend and didn't get in as much study as I would have liked. I have been working on CDP, LLDP and UDLD over the last few days. Trying to back my knowledge up from multiple different sources, keeping the grind going.

No exciting updates i'm afraid icon_sad.gif Although, I am almost done with L2 for the time being and will be starting with L3 shortly :D

sriddle.co.uk
  • Options
    How's the studies going Simon?