Options

Does security really make that much more than everyone else?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    *bashes CNN then quotes glass door.....priceless *
  • Options
    atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    *bashes CNN then quotes glass door.....priceless *

Well, unlike CNN, glassdoor hasn't been caught lying, been sued about it, and had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars because of it. Just google "CNN caught lying" and look at the results.
  • Options
    atippett wrote: »
    Well, unlike CNN, glassdoor hasn't been caught lying, been sued about it, and had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars because of it. Just google "CNN caught lying" and look at the results.

*comparing a news outlet with a salary website....priceless*
  • Options
    atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    *comparing a news outlet with a salary website....priceless*

*thinking glassdoor is a salary website....priceless*

anyways, aren't you the one that compared them? "bashed CNN then quotes glassdoor"... that's comparing them. So, thanks for making this easy.
  • Options
    *thinking glassdoor is a salary website....priceless*

anyways, aren't you the one that compared them? "bashed CNN then quotes glassdoor"... that's comparing them. So, thanks for making this easy.

NP, glad I could help
  • Options
    And not to sound offensive, but your question is stupid.

Its the equivalent of asking "Do people with huge packages have more sex?"

There are so many variables and considerations that need to be calculated before you can actually start to get a legitimate response.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    @OP: Seriously why did you take offence at the mention of CNN? So someone on the Internet disagrees with your world views. A News network is lying...really? do we even need to Google that? Grow up mate.

Back to the question....

I was making more money as a system engineer, and probably needed to know less, but I can see that security has the potential to earn slightly more, but I can also see the potential of security being more interesting (it already is).

also the nature of system admin job is changing rapidly and I saw the writing on the wall few yrs ago and that was one of the reasons why I chose security.

You can make more money if you work as a contractor or if you work in the right company, it's all variable...and you can lose your job too, so it's very subjective.

@Beads: we're all doing security for the chicks. Admit it.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    supafish9supafish9 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy, could you explain about where you see the future of system admin jobs going? I'm still fairly new to IT and I'm just curious.
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well you just lost all credibility by citing CNN as a reputable news source. Nobody that has any intelligence keeps up with CNN. If you're going to comment something sarcastic, don't make yourself look like a fool by quoting CNN, jeez.

Beads didn't cite CNN as a reputable news source. He pointed out that there's more hype around InfoSec than developers, engineers, and other IT leadership. A lot of people watch CNN, so whether you consider it reputable or not, that's how hype works. You could have replaced CNN with any media outlet; CNN obviously wasn't his point. Yet the fact that you'd not only belittle his post but also insult anyone who watches CNN says way more about you than him.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    supafish9 wrote: »
    UnixGuy, could you explain about where you see the future of system admin jobs going? I'm still fairly new to IT and I'm just curious.

This is a highly debatable topic and better left off for another thread. Short answer: it will evolve.

You have to learn cloud technologies, automation, configuration management, and storage/networking/virtualisation too...Things are going to the cloud rapidly, so you have to keep up with the trends.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Let's keep it professional and on topic or let's not post at all please. Can't we all just get along....? :D
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Let's keep it professional and on topic or let's not post at all please. Can't we all just get along....? :D

You drive a hard bargain :)
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS