Options

Book recommendations...

dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
I am currently running through the CCNA course from Knowledge Net. They seem to be very good courses especially if you already have a background in networking. While these courses are helping I think it would help more if I had actual hardcopy books to study also. I was hoping that someone could recommend some good books for studying for the CCNA. Thanks.
This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
beauty of the baud.

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Books for CCNA?? No idea, do books for CCNA even exist??
    Hrmm must search the forum for more information..........
    Dont remember ever seeing a topic about what books to use icon_rolleyes.gif
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    True enough I didnt bother to search but i have seen many threads where one person prefers one book, the next person a different books and so on. I was wondering if there was any real consensus on which books better prepare you for the exams. I will use the search function this time but if anyone has an recommendations they would be appreciated. Thanks.
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dead_p00l wrote:
    True enough I didnt bother to search but i have seen many threads where one person prefers one book, the next person a different books and so on..

The question has been asked so many times and as you have already pointed out different people have different ideas about which books are best.So i dont see why you expect to see anything different this time.
    Rough breakdown
    65% Cisco press
    30% Sybex
    5% other

And most like a combination..........
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Good enough. I guess i was looking for a majority vote. Thanks.
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    How about we open a poll on the subject!!

Personally I dont know what its like now, but I found both Sybex and Ciscopress good books, Sybex was easier to follow but had missing info.
    Ciscopress the Do I already know this sections are a good gauge of your knowledge but the book is harder to digest.

When I got to CCNP exams, I read one Sybex didnt like it and havent bothered with them since, its all about what good for you.

The knowledge net series are a very good seires, but it expects you to know your material, what I normally do is read the book, then do the knowledge net, then go back over the book using the Do i know this aready.

If its a case of I can only afford one book, Id be tempted to go with the Ciscopress. but thats only a personal opinion!.

and of course the best recsouce of all

www.cisco.com

people dont realise often that this is your BEST souce of info, look at the exam topics, then do a search and read up on the whitepapers.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. So far the knowledge net has been great but I really want to supplement that with some other materials(other than staring at a monitor). I think a poll on this would probably be a good idea if someone wanted to set one up. Might help limit these types of questions if there were a book poll sticky'd on the main page. Thanks again for the help.
    beauty of the baud.