Options

Multiswitch VLAN Without VLAN Trunking

rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
I wonder if this would be of interest to others. This .pkt file URL]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7015711/CCNA/VLAN%20PAGE%20240.pkt[/URL is a little exercise that I set myself. It’s based upon fig 9-3 on page 240 of the ICND1 100-101 Wendell Odom book and is aimed at those studying for CCNA. For those without access to that book, I’ve included a diagram here.

The links between to the two 2960 Switches are access links.

The basic objective is to have each PC in the respective VLANs be able to ping each other, thereby establishing connectivity between L1, L2 & L3 of the OSI Networking Model. This needs to be accomplished without having to refer to any of your notes; that is the basic objective should be achievable by the time you have studied chapters 1 to 10. Try and use the CLI on the Switches, rather than the 'Config Tab'.

As a secondary objective, the networks should be made as secure as possible, with regard to ‘Port Security’ in chapters 8 & 10. I have to confess that I had to refer to my notes to achieve this, but my goal is to be able to do this from memory.

Finally, introduce a Router so that the two VLANs can exchange data. Again, you should be able to achieve this without having to consult your notes.

I’d be interested to read any feedback that you have; please keep any criticisms you have as ‘constructive’. Also, there’s an interesting little quirk with regard to consol messages that are generated after you have the basic configuration done; I’d be interested in know how you dealt with them.

If anyone finds this useful, I’ll be more than happy to post any new scenarios that I come up with, in this thread.

All the best…
No longer an active member

Comments

• Options
    CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rob42 wrote: »
    If anyone finds this useful, I’ll be more than happy to post any new scenarios that I come up with, in this thread.

All the best…

That sounds like a good idea.icon_thumright.gifI'm surprised that we don't already have a thread where we can share Packet Tracer labs.
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The file doesn't open with 6.2.0.0052 CPT. What version did you use to make it?
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    That sounds like a good idea.icon_thumright.gifI'm surprised that we don't already have a thread where we can share Packet Tracer labs.

Thanks; I'm a little surprised myself. I'd like to see a section on this website where users can upload .pkt files, along with some notes and then maybe have the solutions that trainees (like myself) come up with, be peer reviewed in some way. I know, my idea is a little sketchy, but maybe it could be the kernel of something that newbies (that's me, b.t.w) would find very useful.

I'm not experienced enough to even begin to advise others how the configuration files on the Switches of this .pkt file should look, but it did strike me as an interesting little project, from which to learn particular IOS commands as well as to put into practice some of the basic concepts of L2 Switch configuration. It's also a project that can be built upon and redefined in several different ways. If others find it of use, then that's good and I'd love to read about what changes can be made, and what extra challenges can be added...

I've already thought of another project that I'd like to share, but I'm going to wait until I get feedback from this before I post anything else. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    The file doesn't open with 6.2.0.0052 CPT. What version did you use to make it?

I'm using v7.0.0.0202. Sorry, I was unaware that the files were not backward compatible. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to my file to make it backwards compatible?

It's a free d/load, so it may be worth while updating to the current version; That way you'll have any bug fixes as well as some new kit to tinker with.
  • Options
    Did it all without looking at my notes! icon_thumright.gif FYI, you might definitely see some strange console messages now!!

http://www.filedropper.com/vlanpage240edit
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    I have taken the objective up a notch.. Hun fun breaking it!! Needs some redundant links to the core but I have to get back to work.

http://www.filedropper.com/vlanpage240big
  • Options
    Did it all without looking at my notes! icon_thumright.gif FYI, you might definitely see some strange console messages now!!

http://www.filedropper.com/vlanpage240edit

I'm flattered that you found my lill' project of such interest :)

Thanks.
  • Options
    rob42 wrote: »
    I'm flattered that you found my lill' project of such interest :)

Thanks.

I have another work colleague who has grown up with Packet Tracer and we build crazy labs and break one thing and IM it back and forth with time limits to fix it. Kinda like Packet Tracer Chess.
  • Options
    I have another work colleague who has grown up with Packet Tracer and we build crazy labs and break one thing and IM it back and forth with time limits to fix it. Kinda like Packet Tracer Chess.

That sounds like a bit of fun as well as a very good way of learning new stuff. In fact, the project that I alluded to, involves a little ‘fault finding’. I’m sure that you and your colleague would be able to crack it a 30 seconds flat, but as I said in my original post, "this is aimed at those studying for CCNA". But, as Network Engineers, I’d appreciate your feedback as to what you think of the challenges that I post.

I’m thinking of setting up my own website on which to host this baby, unless space can be found on this site. It all depends on what feedback I get and how popular this seems to be… two of you seem to think it’s a good idea, now, if we could only find a third…
  • Options
    We don't run CDP on our network due to security restrictions so you can just turn off the VLAN mismatch notifications.But these are a product of a bad network design and planning. Makes your network open for attacks and STP loops. We change our Native VLAN and use bpdu guard to keep people from plugging in random switches. We also have it shut down the port and trigger a SolarWinds Email alert so we know real time.

%CDP-4-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch discovered on FastEthernet0/10 (1), with Switch FastEthernet0/10 (10).
    %CDP-4-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch discovered on FastEthernet0/20 (1), with Switch FastEthernet0/20 (20).
    %CDP-4-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch discovered on FastEthernet0/10 (1), with Switch FastEthernet0/10 (10).
    %CDP-4-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch discovered on FastEthernet0/20 (1), with Switch FastEthernet0/20 (20).

Switch(config)#int fastEthernet 0/20
    Switch(config-if)#no cdp enable

Switch(config-if)#int fastEthernet 0/10
    Switch(config-if)#no cdp enable