Asa 5506-x

MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
Does anyone run one of these in your home lab? I'm thinking about purchasing one to learn about FirePOWER.

I think I'd also want a license for the virtual FireSIGHT Management Center, not sure how much this would cost though.

Comments

• KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    Brand new ASA5506-X from Cisco authorized dealer will cost you about $700. As an alternative, see you if can get a copy of NGIPSv.

FMC version 6.0 and higher doesn't require host licenses any longer. Only 5.4 and below does. Within FMC, you can activate trial licenses for SFR for 90(?) days.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kreken wrote: »
    Brand new ASA5506-X from Cisco authorized dealer will cost you about $700. As an alternative, see you if can get a copy of NGIPSv.

FMC version 6.0 and higher doesn't require host licenses any longer. Only 5.4 and below does. Within FMC, you can activate trial licenses for SFR for 90(?) days.

Thanks for the reply. I thought about asking for a copy of NGIPSv, but was thinking about replacing my home firewall with the 5506.

I guess I should look into the software options
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    One thing to consider with 5506-X is that all ports are routed unlike 5505.
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kreken wrote: »
    One thing to consider with 5506-X is that all ports are routed unlike 5505.

Thanks, I was actually aware of this. I read some reviews where people were complaining about it. It's okay though, I'm using a L3 switch (SG300-10). Probably will upgrade this too, so I have more ports.

I gave away my 5505 a long time ago, so right now for ASA my only option is using VIRL. So far no FirePOWER VMs included with that.