Options

Where to go from here?

NewITGuy1NewITGuy1 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys, I just passed my Network+ exam today! Currently, I am not sure what to do next. I have been doing desktop support for about a year, and I really want to get out eventually. I am thinking a system administrator job would be the next step, but I am not sure as I have never done anything with servers. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the exam for Net+.

I think you should try learning new things to find what you're interested in. For System Administration (Windows), I'd start with learning Active Directory, basic server configuration, MS Exchange. Maybe start preparing for the MCSA? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcsa-windows-server-certification.aspx

Other options are VMware or Linux.

Are you close to the server guys at work? Maybe you can shadow them to see what their day to day is like?
  • Options
    GmvProjectGmvProject Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I say get Sec+ next since the Net+ concepts should still be fresh in your head (;

Security+ should also get you DOD 8570 opportunities.
  • Options
    sillymcnastysillymcnasty Member Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA because Network+ is mainly the same test just without the cisco specifics. So the concepts will all be there. OSPF, EIGRP, Routing, Switching, Packets/Frames, all that good stuff.

CCNA will also get you further in hiring managers check lists of certs to even get your resume looked at. Even if it is a SysAdmin job where you don't really need to know the specifics of Cisco devices for that job.

Beyond that, yeah, the microsoft and the VMWare are ones I see everywhere for jobs that I'm looking at.
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can agree with this advice ^^^ I think a CCNA R&S is helpful even for System (Server) administrators.

I think natural progression for a lot of people is HelpDesk/Desktop > Servers > Network. It doesn't always have to be that way though. If your interest is in networking more than servers, I'd definitely go the CCNA route.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    iF YOU WANT TO PLAY WITH sERVERS, THEN LEARN HOW TO USE vIRTUALBOX.
    (sorry, caplock)

You can get 180-day Server2012 Evaluation from M$ (and run it inside of virtualbox).
    lots of material out there on youtube.
    If you like what you see... consider working toward MCSA.

i wouldnt bother with cisco if that's not your current interest...
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yes - get VirtualBox. MCSA is also a good one to get. I'd also look at getting into some Linux certs as well to round out your sysadmin skills. Here's a list below on a good cert path for you that I'd recommend.

Sec+ > MCSA: Windows 10 > MCSA/E: Server 2012 and 2016 (upgrade) > VCP-DCV
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you have a degree yet? If not, many community colleges have started aligning some of their "IT" associates degrees with certifications. It provides you inexpensive training, gives you a "plan" forward, and helps you double-dip. In addition to that... there is the "forum favorite" WGU that also does this, if you are more disciplined and don't need your "plan" detailed, just more of "outline". I would look for something that gives you some broader experience... maybe MCSA plus something else, like Linux and/or VMware.

Also, cloud is a big thing now, so you may want to consider pursuing training related to Azure and/or AWS.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Either go with the CCNA or MCSA IMO. Both can be very useful knowledge and they are marketable, they can very well help you get to the next level. I wouldn't get both, just one. That should be enough to achieve your next step.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Either go with the CCNA or MCSA IMO. Both can be very useful knowledge and they are marketable, they can very well help you get to the next level. I wouldn't get both, just one. That should be enough to achieve your next step.

I would say that there isn't any problem and only benefits to be gained from doing both the MCSA and CCNA. They are both rather "entry-level" and provide good insights. If you want to be a systems admin, having CCNA level understanding provides you with great understanding of and expectations of what is possible. Going beyond the CCNA level isn't really necessary unless there are further plans to move into networking. But, all of these things change frequently, these days.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Good follow up Powerfool

I am reviewing this from the perspective the least amount of effort to get to your desired role. I agree the CCNA would surely give you a huge advantage of landing a SA positions.
  • Options
    Good follow up Powerfool

I am reviewing this from the perspective the least amount of effort to get to your desired role. I agree the CCNA would surely give you a huge advantage of landing a SA positions.

Really?
    I would think the CCNA give him an advantage at landing a NOC position.

But if he wants a Sys Admin position... then it would be more advantageous to go for MCSA, RHSA etc...
  • Options
    Yes really......

Go to indeed and do a search that captures all words. System Administrator CCNA then System Administrator MCSE. They both come out ~1600 jobs for both. Both bring big returns back when searching for SA jobs.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned go for the MCSE or CCNA, but since the OP has already knocked out Network + and shows aptitude and interest in that track it makes perfect sense to go for the CCNA.

Unlike some on here I don't buy into the mass certification strategy. I believe one strategically placed one is just as good as a ton of them.....
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    Yes really......

Go to indeed and do a search that captures all words. System Administrator CCNA then System Administrator MCSE. They both come out ~1600 jobs for both. Both bring big returns back when searching for SA jobs.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned go for the MCSE or CCNA, but since the OP has already knocked out Network + and shows aptitude and interest in that track it makes perfect sense to go for the CCNA.

Unlike some on here I don't buy into the mass certification strategy. I believe one strategically placed one is just as good as a ton of them.....

I agree with this. I got my CCNA only 3 weeks after getting my NET+ and I actually found the net+ to be more difficult. Probably because the ideas were new.

A CCNA opens doors where NET+ doesn't do anything. The network engineer for my company has only a CCNA (+7 years of experience) and just landed a six figure job as a senior network architect.

I happen to not enjoy networking and find it to be the most boring thing ever, thus why I switched my own career track. But network guys will be needed for years to come so job security is certainly there.
  • Options
    I agree with this. I got my CCNA only 3 weeks after getting my NET+ and I actually found the net+ to be more difficult. Probably because the ideas were new.

A CCNA opens doors where NET+ doesn't do anything. The network engineer for my company has only a CCNA (+7 years of experience) and just landed a six figure job as a senior network architect.

Yes, but in your example, it sounds like the CCNA helped him land the "network" role :]

i didn't mean to come off as brash... was only typing out my thoughts.

In the Original post, the OP said:
    "I am thinking a system administrator job would be the next step..."

So that's where i was coming from.

Hypothetically, if i were hiring for a Jr Server role.... and i had two equal candidates....
    i would "think" i'd go for the candidate with the MCSA/RHSA, rather than the one with the CCNA.

but What do i know :]