Options

Job Offer - Thoughts?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
In May I saw a posting for a Mobile Forensic Investigator with the State. Now I've taken a forensic course, but the posting specifically stated they were willing to train. I applied and about two months later I was called for an interview. Interview went well, though it seemed the room was torn over hiring a cop who knew technology versus a technology person who wasn't a cop. Overall, I felt it went well and a month later I got called for a second interview. It was quick and I was asked to submit for the background check that day (this was August).

Today I got a call to let me know I had gotten the job, but there was a caveat. As it stands, in my current position, I make more and have a higher top out than the new position. HR did what they could (State is a very weird place), so the best they could do salary wise was $3000 less than my current salary. The other thing is due to a contract dispute I have not gotten raises for two years and should be making around 10k more then what was offered. There is no end in sight as far as the contract goes so I don't know when I would get the raises I am owed.

Thus the following list:
- New position is not governed by the contract so in a year I would be back to where I am currently, but top out would be 10k less then what my current position is

- New position is qualified for overtime (my current position is not, though I am technically on call 24/7) and it seems like there could be a lot of overtime

- Distance wise the new position is about 12 miles further one way than my current commute one way (though there will be traffic)

- New position will have less to do with cyber security than my current position

I asked to have till Monday to decide and was told it wasn't an issue. I was the first choice and they will repost if I don't accept.

Right now I am leaning towards taking the position. There is a lot I like about it and I believe there is some interesting growth available. But I wanted to get some thoughts. (sorry for the long post)
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Money issues aside, is forensics where you want to go? We had that other guy here who had no idea in forensics you would see real evil. Such naivety still blows my mind to this day. If forensics is the end goal, this may make sense. Otherwise, not so much.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    So you will make less, have potential less income increase but you might break even because of the OT rules? New job is further away and has less to do with cyber security?

Where do you see your career in 5 years? Which position will pivot you into a closer position to your end goal? That would be the job i would take / stay for.
  • Options
    KalabasterKalabaster Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    By State you mean as a govvie? Federal? If you're a GS then the salary might seem low but with the pension and benefits you are way farther ahead than you think. My rule of thumb is to at 20% to a GS/Fed salary to make a salary comparison with a defense contractor.
    Certifications: A+, Net+, Sec+, Project+, Linux+/LPIC-1/SUSE CLA, C|EH, eWPT, GMON, GWAPT, GCIH, eCPPT, GPEN, GXPN, OSCP, CISSP.
    WGU, BS-IT, Security: C178, C255, C100, C132, C164, C173, C172, C480, C455, ORA1, C182, C168, C394, C393, C451, C698, C697, C176, C456, C483, C170, C175, C169, C299, C246, C247, C376, C179, C278, C459, C463, C435, C436.
    Legend: Completed, In-Progress, Next
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies! As for forensics, I don't have an issue with doing forensic work and could see myself doing it for the long term. I definitely wanted to focus on something as I've been a jack of all trades my entire career. Also, there will be some other technical related work. I'm under no illusions of the evil I will see. I'm prepared for it as much as one could prepare (know a lot of people who do child **** investigations and a few prosecutors who have worked cases). There is a chance that I will be given a vehicle, the mileage (in the grand scheme of things) isn't a huge factor to me. Commute will be an hour one way for either job. State means a state government employee (which I am currently). Pension wise I would remain in my current pension, but might be able to become a Detective which would put me in the law enforcement retirement (20 years).

Thanks again all!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It doesn't seem like a good move to me unless forenics is what you want long term. If it is, then make the jump!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds like the worse that can happen is you could end up not liking it and end up having to find something else. At best you enjoy what you do and gave a shot at something you were interested in and it pays off.

Guess you will have to find out. :D
  • Options
    winona_ryderwinona_ryder Member Posts: 42 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what is the market like for Forensics professionals in your area? Are there many jobs? Are there many candidates?
    Would getting experience in this field set you apart from the field of candidates?

If it's like here, there's not a great deal number of people that have the forensics skills, attention to detail and experience. They never really struggle for work.

It sounds like your current position slightly takes advantage of you by making you do oncall work without paying you for it.

One thing with forensics, it's highly likely that you won't know what material will trouble you, until it troubles you. Make sure you have support in place for when that happens, and hopefully funded through your employer.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I'll ask the obvious question...

If you're planning on law school, how would this position fit in with your grand plans? Are you planning on becoming a prosecutor specializing in cyber cases? I'd say that the best position (current one or new one) is the one that reconciles your long term plan (law school) with your short term plan (interesting work that allows you to gain experience and grow).
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    Job market wise, I would say that those with experience have no issues getting employed so this would help. In regards to support for the troubling things I might encounter, I can only assume that something would be provided (given this is a government job). That said, I do have two friends who are licensed social workers and can provide therapy so if push came to shove that would be an option.

As far as law school this position should be able to work with that. In the interviews I was asked twice if that was something I was interested in pursuing and was told that several detectives had gone to law school while employed with the agency. Will it be easy? No. But in either position I was looking at a hard road, though this position will expose me more to the criminal side of the law.

Thanks all! I will be taking the position. I appreciate all of the comments, suggestions, and points of view.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Forensic Investigator pretty much the apex of the cyber security field? While the experience is valuable, I wouldn't take a pay cut, especially with a lower salary potential.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Grinch,

I think people here forgot to mention the fact that you've been in your current position for some time now (few yrs?) so there is the boredom factor and the lack of technical progress (I assume). So getting a new job is (usually) a good move to gain new skills and sometimes better money.

I took a pay cut recently to gain more knowledge and move my career to where I want it to be, so I don't regret my decision. Also, stagnating in one position for years on because the pay is good, is a bad move (IMHO). I see no problem in doing Mobile forensics for 2 yrs (For example), and then move to a Incident Response sort of job, or law enforcement, or even Red team or whatever.

Staying in a job for a long(er) time and being bored out of your mind will demotivate you no matter what. But some people can't be motivated if they think they're underpaid so be careful and be willing 100% to accept a paycut before you take it.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    You can't categorically say that any one position is the quintessential role of cybersec. Remember that this field is like medicine. An urologist, neurosurgeon, and a cardiologist can be the elite in their respective areas without one been able to claim the crown of master of all things medical. The same happens with security. You can be an elite forensicator, red teamer, architect or whatever. Doesn't mean any one role is better/higher/better compensated that any other.

As a matter of fact, most dedicated forensic investigators I personally know suck at advanced cyber security topics.
  • Options
    Yeah, the forensic side will be my main duty, but there will be other duties involved as well. Ultimately I'll be taking a $1000 dollar pay cut, but in a year I will be above where I currently am. Thus basically if I drink one less Monster a day I'll get the money back (plus overtime is a factor, though I'm not counting on it).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff