Options

Resume Review

johnITjohnIT Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was told to post my resume here so here it is in all it's glory. I'm trying to move into IT Finance, or Legal IT but any medium to large sized firm in NYC will do. What I'd like to find in my next job is a relatively larger team that I can learn from, I don't have this right now and I've been getting calls for first round interviews but then no bites after that. I might have applied to 30-40 job openings since starting to look in the summer. I'm mostly looking at tier II or administrator positions. Since it's just me and two other guys at my current job. I've surpassed their knowledge and anything I can learn from the team. At this point I am teaching them the new stuff!
Working on: A+, MCSE Server 2012

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Edit: Never mind there it is.:)
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    Edit: Never mind there it is.:)

Yeah I was changing it. The PDF
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Okay here's what I'd do:

1. Remove the headline and save that for the CV
    2. Move education to the very bottom of the resume
    3. Remove the Computer Skills section. Too much fluff. No one will care about HTML, CSS, Facebook,LI, etc etc. No one will care about Windows 95. Linux is very open-ended. how much do you know about Linux exactly and is it relevant to the position you are applying for? Just delete this whole section.
    4. Lead your resume with experience since you have it.
    5. You really need to "beef up" the experience section. It seems too vague and rushed imo. Go into as much detail as possible. For example you "maintained website and computer systems". Well what does that mean exactly? Get more detail in there.
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    Okay here's what I'd do:

1. Remove the headline and save that for the CV
    2. Move education to the very bottom of the resume
    3. Remove the Computer Skills section. Too much fluff. No one will care about HTML, CSS, Facebook,LI, etc etc. No one will care about Windows 95. Linux is very open-ended. how much do you know about Linux exactly and is it relevant to the position you are applying for? Just delete this whole section.
    4. Lead your resume with experience since you have it.
    5. You really need to "beef up" the experience section. It seems too vague and rushed imo. Go into as much detail as possible. For example you "maintained website and computer systems". Well what does that mean exactly? Get more detail in there.

OK thanks for the advice. This is actually my general Resume that I just send out to anybody, especially if they didn't any specific type of experience listed or it's not exactly a tech job. That was such edited out by my cousin who works HR for Johnson and Johnson, but I guess she didn't understand the technical necessities that had to be included, here.
    I have the following, on my technical resume under experience:

• Coordinated network infrastructure upgrades, user hardware refreshes, and user migration from Windows XP to Windows 7 and Office 2003-2010, 32bit-64bit
    • Active Directory topology expertise includes some powershell, fixing corrupt profiles, and proxy re-configuration.
    • Anti-Virus Administration with Kaspersky Security Center (Remote upgrades, Virus Scans, Filters)
    • Remote Desktop software experience: UltraVNC, Teamviewer, logmein, Remote Desktop, and Devolutions management.
    • Set up printers, fax machines, scanners, routers and wired networks at different field offices
    • Quickly upgraded infrastructure as browsers and other software became outdated. EX: Flash
    • Researched solutions for high-volume document archiving and protective scanning
    • Restored backups using Acronis and Easeus ToDo Backup solutions
    • Set up and configured various types of Windows Servers from 2003-2012 and Exchange 2013
    • Successfully setup and deployed PARCC testing in one school in three days
    • Successfully rolled out brand new electronic medical records system for doctors across all locations and included a server based signature pad solution using Topaz Software
    • Was essential to exchange email upgrade from Windows Server 2003 to 2012
    • Successfully deployed new web filtering protocol