Options

Security training courses

rullzrullz Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I was wondering if you guys have any good (and cheap) security training courses available that are not online. The company that I'm working with will reimburse me up to $1500 for the training as long as it's not an online course, and I found most training to be $3000+
I currently hold CompTIA Security+ and I'm planning to take another security cert soon, like CEH or SSCP. I figured that since the company will pay $1500, why not go to an actual training instead of teaching myself for free?

Can anyone think of any cert training (or helpful security training) that will be within this budget?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    winona_ryderwinona_ryder Member Posts: 42 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OSCP. You connect via a VPN to their labs and practice exoloiting machines in their student network. You are provided with video tutorials and a pdf manual. the exam is connecting to a separate network, and attempting to compromise the machines there. There's no multiple choice exam, it's all hands on.
    It's about $1500-$1800, and i think is the best bang for buck security training there is
  • Options
    OSCP. You connect via a VPN to their labs and practice exoloiting machines in their student network. You are provided with video tutorials and a pdf manual. the exam is connecting to a separate network, and attempting to compromise the machines there. There's no multiple choice exam, it's all hands on.
    It's about $1500-$1800, and i think is the best bang for buck security training there is

I actually thought about Offensive Security's certificates. However, they are considered online training, which I will not be reimbursed for.
  • Options
    rullz wrote: »
    I actually thought about Offensive Security's certificates. However, they are considered online training, which I will not be reimbursed for.

That is a real shame. compared to a lot of face to face training, their courses are brilliant.

They do face to face versions of PWK and CTP. Not worth it if it's just yourself though - or you would likely have to travel
  • Options
    That is a real shame. compared to a lot of face to face training, their courses are brilliant.

They do face to face versions of PWK and CTP. Not worth it if it's just yourself though - or you would likely have to travel

Are you talking about the ones in the BlackHat Event at Las Vegas? I don't think they are the same, or am I wrong?
    Do you have more information about the face to face versions? because I only found this on the website:
    Penetration Testing with Kali (PWK) is a self-paced online pen testing course designed for network administrators and security professionals
  • Options
    rullz wrote: »
    Are you talking about the ones in the BlackHat Event at Las Vegas? I don't think they are the same, or am I wrong?
    Do you have more information about the face to face versions? because I only found this on the website:

https://www.offensive-security.com/offensive-security-solutions/in-house-training/
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If your company expects you to be able to pay for face-to-face security training with $1500 then they're going to be disappointed. maybe if you find a local security guy who will do it as a side job he'll take $1500, but you're not going to get a 5-day in-person security training course for $1500
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SANS Work Study Program falls within your range:

https://www.sans.org/work-study
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I gotta echo what 636-555-3226 said. $1,500 for classroom training is ridiculous. Nothing of value could be bought for that price. Heck, even if you didn't have the Security+, the course is above that threshold so options are virtually none. The SANS Work Study program is definitely a possibility but it's a long shot. I think this is when you need to spend extra time documenting everything available out there and go back to them with your case to get more $$ assigned.

Don't even get me started on the stupidity of banning online training.