Options

Start new Job(First IT job) Wednesday

Ben1373Ben1373 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
So basically, I'm 18 and just finished local college and I start my first IT job on Wednesday. My job title is Service Operations Technician at perhaps the largest IT firm in my area. The job involves working 12 hr shifts, nights included, weekends etc... I do get well paid though. I'm quite nervous and was just wondering if anyone had any advice or tips? Much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    -Take notes
    -Ask questions
    -Don't act like you know it all but show what you know when you need to
    -If someone is showing you something that you've never done before, ask to try it yourself
    -Study for certs that are related to the job
    -Try to understand how the business/operations part works
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just curious and you don't have to answer, whats well paid. Reason I asked is I tried to get my son in IT and he wouldn't have anything to do with it. Also, do you get 3 days off ?

Congrats !!
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!Wished my first I.T. Gig was as good as this. Just make sure to learn everything you can, soak up the knowledge.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    tmtex wrote: »
    Just curious and you don't have to answer, whats well paid. Reason I asked is I tried to get my son in IT and he wouldn't have anything to do with it. Also, do you get 3 days off ?

Congrats !!

Hi, I don't want to say exactly how much my salary will be, but it is over 23k, which at my age, I am happy with. I'll be working like 4 days a week and then get 3 off, then work 3 the next and have 4 days off.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats,

Show up on time, gain as much experience as you can but never stop certifying/gaining knowledge. Build your network and link with people--you never know when they might need someone like you.

It's good that you are happy with your salary. I think the goals of your first IT job should primarily be gaining that valuable experiencing and building a network. If you keep certifying the high salaries will come later.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    And at your age, be sure to save as much as possible. You have no idea how stressful it can be living paycheck to paycheck, hoping you don't have an unexpected medical or car repair bill. Invest in yourself with continuing education and save what you can.
  • Options
    urstuffplz1urstuffplz1 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As others have said, ask questions, listen to your peers and absorb as much known as you can from them. Don't stop learning and keep working towards relevant certification that 1. interests you and 2. will benefit you in your job/longer term career goals.
    2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[X], CCNP Switch 300-115[X], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[X], VCP-DCV 6[], 70-412[], 70-413[], 70-414[]
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ben1373 wrote: »
    Hi, I don't want to say exactly how much my salary will be, but it is over 23k, which at my age, I am happy with. I'll be working like 4 days a week and then get 3 off, then work 3 the next and have 4 days off.

Mane, that is the schedule I wanna work! I feel like 2 days off is NEVER enough.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Take a deep breath you earned this. Take a lot of notes, be respectful and be a team player.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take notes
    Be Friendly
    Don't act like a smart@$$ , people will hate that (especially at your age)
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    Sorry for the late update but just thought I'd let everyone know how my first day went. Firstly, made sure I got there early. I was introduced to the current team of technicians that were working (they work in teams of 4 to cover 24hours of the day. All the usual new starter procedures (HR induction, numerous meetings). Was then assigned to my own team that I'd be working with. First two weeks I'll be working 9-5 to get trained up. I was shown how to use the numerous monitoring and ticketing software that they used. But yeah, overall it was a great day and they seem like a great company. But we'll see as the days go by!
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't get caught up in negitive BS if any of that goes on there. Stay positive and always be learning. Congrats.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Ben, All the very best and nice to see that you are happy with the job as that is the most important thing. Now coming to working always question your self why are i am doing this why is it needed, constant questioning gets you a lot of answers and a vast experience.
    Always make sure if you are unsure of something or dont know how to get it done, don't hesitate to ask and get it done right.
    Get certification based on your field and think ahead where you want to be in 2 years from now or 5 years and work towards achieving it.
    Don't get involved in the office BS just move on.
  • Options
    psaechaopsaechao Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't be nervous - you'll do just fine. Remember that everyone starts at the beginning. No one automatically comes into a job knowing everything. You'll learn a lot on the job.

Show interest. I've noticed that in help desk, those who don't show much interest are the ones who are stuck on the phones.

Take initiative. If your manager asks your team if someone can do OT tonight for server upgrades, do it if you have the bandwidth. It'll show that you're up to take on new tasks and you'll eventually be assigned to more technical projects and duties above the rest of your team.

Also understand that it takes time to fully adjust to a new job. What I mean is that you might still ask lots of questions or still be uncomfortable on the phones after the first 2-3 months. Don't think of this as not being good at the job. You will eventually start to pick things up and even master some tasks. You'll also notice that lots of the service requests are similar.
    DeVry B.S Network and Communications Management: Completed
    CCENT: Completed
    CCNA R/S: 2019