Options

Interview dilemma

indubasuindubasu Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
I went for an interview last Friday. I had a talk with the owner of the company at the interview and I felt very very uncomfortable then. It was obvious he did not want to hire me. He mentioned something abt this being a 'Redneck' place etcetc. I was determined not to go over there ever again. He said that he would have me work over there for a week on a test basis and then if they (he and his other workers) felt that I suited the job they would hire me. Now today, his secretary calls me up and says they would like me to come for another interview this Thursday and other ppl will be there as well. I told her I am not available and would let her know my availability by email shortly.
I am really not interested in going for that interview as I know they are all going to make me feel even more uncomfortable (since there are going to be more ppl now and the racial issue is very obvious) ... Is there any polite way of refusing them? Plz advise guys. I am eagerly waiting for ur comments...

P.S.: I have another job at hand and i am supposed to join there on the 24th..

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Never sell out your morals for a job, money, friends, etc. If you feel they are a racist company - forget about them. Just inform them that you don't feel like you would be a good fit in their current environment. If you think they most definately displayed racial prejudice in discouraging you from coming back you may have some recourse. In the US it's the EEOC (http://www.eeoc.gov/). Good luck!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why would they call you back for an interview if they were racist?

Most companies look for personalities that will fit in with their team.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good question. A possible answer is that they are not racist.

Another possibility is to cover their own backs - "we called him back for a second interview, so we obviously were willing to give him a chance".

Who knows?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    I have gone through the first interview and I know very well that they are not giving me a chance by calling me for the second interview. As I mentioned earlier, they are calling me again to humiliate me further and there are going to be more ppl this time to do the honors...anyway.. I know what the work culture is out there and I definitely don't wanna go back there again... I have already emailed them saying I am not coming back... I have already accepted another offer and am joining there in two weeks time.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Just tell them that you are no longer available for hire. You are doing them a favor by not wasting their time in believing that you are employable by them. I'm always grateful when a prospective interview candidate takes the time to inform me that they have accepted another offer, and I can therefore cross them off my list.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Tell them you don't think you'd be a good fit for the company. Never accept a job that will hurt your self-esteem.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    I would just tell them the truth about how I felt about their company and why I do not want a position with them.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    You may be reading a little bit too far into this. I am black, and some white people consider themselves redneck if they love race cars and hunting. Doesn't necessarily make them racist. Plus racist is an institutional thing. Only way they can be classified as racist is if they are denying you a promotion or advancement in their company or even employment in their company based on your skin color, othewise they are just prejudiced, which anyone can be. Saying they are red necks is not humiliating. Now if they said something else demeaning or challeging your intellect based ont the fact that you are black that is one thing, sounds like to me you are feeling uncomfortable for no reason.
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    lol what the hell, canadians call themselves rednecks?

How's the job market on the west coast?
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    Yup, the ignorant and insecure ones in the small towns and remote areas take pride in calling themselves 'Rednecks'... there is quite a bit of racial discrimination there...But, the job prospects are pretty good in the bigger cities in the west coast like Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary etc..,